You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Using the tag axle

Gang,

Today I drove from Dallas to an RV park near Galveston, TX. This park is not listed in Big Rigs Best Bets....and I now know why.

The access into the park requires you to make a tight left turn with a ditch on the left and the right. To make matters worse, the stop sign is right up against the road on the right.

When I made the turn, I nearly fell off the road on the front *and* the back. phew. After backing up a little and taking another cut, I was able to make the turn without rumpling up the bottom of the coach (again).

So here is the question....

If I want to make a sharper turn, is there any point in using the tag axle button? My coach does not have the steerable tag and if that helps...maybe putting the tag axel in "More Traction" position may allow me to turn a little tighter.

Can one of you pro-drivers comment with your thoughts?

Cheers,
bill

ps

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,

Dumping the air in the tag axle will allow you to turn in a shorter distance. But not by much! I have never tested it to see the actual difference; but in your case if it shortens the turning radius by 12" or so it would make the difference.

There is 25# of pressure on the tag so when you hit the switch it takes a few minutes for the air to exhaust down to 0. The tag axle doesn't lift off of the ground like some Prevosts. The only way you will be able to tell if the air has been dumped is to get out and look at the tag tire.

The downside to dumping the tag air is that the coach will squat down and you may rub the ground.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Tuga makes several good points. The turning radius will decrease somewhat but as importantly, in a VERY sharp turn, is that you are not dragging the tag sideways which is hard on the tires and the suspension. The rear axle is trying to be pulled sideways by the tag so they are fighting each other. In some cases, the clearance lost by the rear squat when the tag isn't supporting any weight can become a serious issue.

In the case you site, it might have helped or it could have made matters worse. Without being there, it is hard to tell. It certainly would have allowed a slightly tighter turning radius BUT if the rear wheels started to slip off into a ditch, the tag being down could help provide extra stability to avoid slipping into the ditch. There are so many variables to take into consideration when you get into a tight situation that it really takes a lot of concentration, playing what if's, and, in the end, may still be a crap shoot.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I find this a very interesting topic. It has been discussed before in other places, but is deserving of a revisit. I have watched with envy as other coaches of my overall dimensions have made turns that I cannot. As mentioned, many Prevots just lift the tag axle and decrease their turn radius. I watched a VanHool pull into a parking spot between two other busses I could never have negotiated with my non-lifting tag. I even saw a Holiday Rambler lift its tag yesterday.

The newer coaches with the steerable tag have a reduced turn radius, but one must be very careful as the rear will swing right in a left hand turn enough to cause trouble if you are say, close to a wall.
Tuga mentioned the air in the tag and the need to wait until it is exhausted. That is a good point and I think if I remember correctly from air diagrams provided by Steve and Michael, the pressure is normally the same in the tag as the drive axle bags.
My Newell owner's manal does not really suggest dumping the tag for turning, but rather only it a special situation where additional traction or axle weight rating may be involved. If there is anyone that routinely dumps the tag bags I would like to hear all about it.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Tuga,

Thanks! Getting any closer to the ground is NOT on my wish list. I have already rumpled up the bottom edge once...So I guess I am going to have to get better at hanging the front off the edge. Smile

I suspected that was the answer, but wanted to be sure! I am going to scout out a better way to get out of here than that scary turn.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

That sounds like a plan Bill. I have gotten myself into a few situations that increased the pucker factor. I made a U-turn through a new parking lot one afternoon that turned out to have a MUCH steeper slope on the exit than on the entrance. Got myself hung on rear skid bars and the tag axle with the drive axles just touching the pavement. Lots of tire smoke but no movement. Had to call Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance on that one. Told them I needed an industrial duty tow truck since I was the size and weight of a Greyhound bus. Of course the one they could find to send out quickly late on a Friday afternoon was a regular tow truck. He wasn't sure he could get me unstuck but working together, we finally did.

Be careful out there!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Recently, I unknowingly had the dash switch set to dump the tag air. I learned the hard way that all of the rear bags would not inflate and I damaged the panel behind the rear tires. I do not plan to ever dump the tag air just to make sharper turn.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks gang!

I guess it takes a village and I am really appreciative of the village's help in figuring out my Newell!

I scouted out the exit path on my motorcycle today and found that the directions that the RV park gave are just plain wrong! There is a much flatter, much wider way to get in here. What were they thinking?!!! The road that I turned on was even more of a problem than I thought...The left edge of the road was sunken about 6". I did not notice that until I went back on the bike.

Think I dodged a bullet there!

I have now banished the thought of messing with the tag while turning. Hope that I never have to use the locking differential or tag button from now on!

Cheers,
bill

ps. I think all the trouble was worth it...this is the view out of the front windshield. (Dickinson, TX near galveston)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Glad you won't have to go through that again. Isn't it amazing that many of the folks that work in RV parks don't have a clue about LARGE RV's and how much room it takes to maneuver them. I have had folks want to lead me to an RV site through a route that was virtually impossible to get through without scratching up your paint.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Bill,

I have used my locking differential before twice to get out of the mud. Please don't ask HOW I GOT IN THE MUD!

It is really simple, you just put it in neutral with the engine running and flip the switch up. The red light on the switch comes on and BOTH tires pull evenly. Do not drive too far with it engaged. Stop the coach, put it in neutral, and turn the switch off.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot