You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

slides in during high winds?

hi all,

we are on the road and tonite there is currently a strong wind, hail and rain advisory. i put our car in our friends shop, but the coach is outside. this part of rv'ing is new to us. should we put the slides in during high winds? i looked online and most people said they leave slides out. (all types of rv's_)

i put the sat dish down to be sure it wouldnt get ripped off.

any wisdom here?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Putting your slides in is never a bad call. We do depending on the prospective severity. A few times we didn't and wished we had. Just one of those judgement things.

An interesting note: As you know the factory is located in OK. They get all kinds of severe weather. The sale coaches sit out in it all of it with their slides out. When we took the Newell production tour we were told that years ago some of the on line Newells got some damage in a hail storm. Newells reaction was to start using heavier, thicker aluminum so the coaches could withstand severe weather without sustaining damage!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

We usually put the slides in. With them out if a bad wind or hail comes up I'm concerned with the topper awnings getting damaged. But I did have them out and we got a foot of snow in Golden. The next morning I got out the ladder and was able to remove a bunch of the snow from the awnings.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

For me it's antennas down and slides in. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

ended up not being very bad so we left them in. no hail, just rain and winds were moderate. hardly even moving the coach.

but good to know everyones opinion.

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH