You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fantastic Fan vent won't close

Well we got back to the coach about 8pm yesterday. Visited with Chappell and Rudy and their wives. Everything so far looks ok except one of the Fantastic Fans stayed open while we were gone and won't close. I know when we left the switch was off but didn't check to make sure it was closed.
How do I close the vent?
Right now it's still open and don't want to drive with it fully open. I'll climb up there this morning and look at it.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

ha...as we fired up at steve bares place i went in the mid bath and noticed the fantastic fan motor that opens and closes the dome was running. it appeared that the dome was closed but i couldnt tell for sure.

i took the 2 screws off that held the motor in the corner off and the spline was ok on the motor part and the shaft on the piece that raises and lowers the dome spun freely (it should raise and lower the dome when you spin it). i had master technician steve come and look and give his opinion. that piece had broken. motto to all of this is if you want to break down, do it in steves driveway because he went into the barn and came out with a new piece. he had a spare!

it took me about ten minutes to change it. thankfully you can do it from the bottom.

the fans are simple. i have rewired both of min to give them the ability to turn both ways.

forest, give me a call if you want. just sitting here enjoying the morning

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Forest,
No reason to get on the roof. There is a fuse to check on those vents if the motor is not turning.

If fuse OK, remove two screws from the motor and drop it off the opening mechanism. Turn it on and it should begin rotating. If not you have an electrical issue. Could be the wiring, switch or bad motor.

If the motor does start rotating: Remove the 6-8 screws that hold the screen on. Drop the screen. Now try closing the vent cover manually. If the opening mechanism won't move or spins freely you will need to replace the easy to find opening mechanism. If the opening mechanism won't move check where the wheel of the opening mechanism fits through the vent mount. Occasionally the wheel will get caught and won't move.

Hope this helps...........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

OK, got it closed. But wait, there's always more to the story. It was a broken wire on the vent cover motor. There conveniently were quick connects on the wire. So I said to myself " Myself, just get a couple pliers, disconnect the wires, solder the broken wire back, and it'll be fixed". Unfortunately myself wasn't listening too well, along with 3 cups of coffee, when I was disconnecting the wires my pliers slipped and the motor went scooting away from me. Oh, did I mention that the vent is over the stacked washer/dryer? You guessed it. The motor and a few screws now reside behind the washer! Unless someone has about 6' long arms that vent will be out of commission until I either get a new motor or pull the washer/dryer out.
Thankfully everything else looks ok so far. Engine and generator started right up, it's dirty but I'll take care of that later.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, consider dropping a strong magnet on a string to lift the motor and screws.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica