You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Voltage problem with shore line power

I purchased a Voltage Protector and plugged it into the 50 amp outlet, and plugged my shoreline into it. It is made to trip if the voltage is 10% over or under 120 volts. ( 132 volts is the high mark, and 108 low side). My coach started tripping it with 132 volts on L2. L1 would be around 119. I had the Power Company out to my shop, and replaced a lot of connectors on the transformer, it did not help. I called Newell, and all they could tell me is that it was the shoreline power. I took the coach home, and plugged it in there, and the same thing happened. The L1 volts was 119, and with a 20 amp draw. L2 had 0 amp draw, and rose up to 132 volts in about 5 minutes, tripping the Surge protector.

I called Surge Gaurd, and talked to their Tech support, and right away, after I explained the problem, told me that the issue was the Surge Gaurd (Transfer Switch). It had a calibration problem, and they would send me a replacement for it, since Newell had just installed it in March of this year. This wierd problem may pop up with some other coach, that would be good to know, since Newell could not locate the culprit.

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

hi john, thanks for the update. i had to replace my transfer switch last year. i did it myself and it wasnt too bad to do.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It turns out that the Tech guy at Newell called me today to get me to explain my problem, and what the cure I found was. When I explained it to him, he told me that it may be the answer to a problem they have been bombarded with from 2013, and 2014 coaches. The owners would plug into 50 amp Shoreline power, and the transfer switch would not kick in to supply power to coach. The new Surge Guards are from the same manufacturer, and will do the same thing, even worse because the new ones will monitor, and store the spikes, and if it gets to 130 volts, it won't kick in. I hope this solves their problems too.

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

I am a little confused. Was the problem the portable high/low voltage current protector that connects between the end of the cable and the 50 amp shore power box, or the switch box that switches between the generator and shore power located under the cable reel.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

It was the box that switches from Generator, and Shoreline. I also had the portable one in line, and found out that I did not need it, because the transfer switch has those capabilities built in.

Whoops! We just visited with someone who was in a park when lighting struck and 4 RVs were completely 'fried'. Their RV survived with only damage to the wiper internal wiring because they had a 'giant progressive surge protector' attached between their shoreline cord to the shoreline plug. But I thought our brand new transfer box http://www.energybay.org/esco-transfer-s...lpt-50-brd had a surge protector??!! But, no! So, what do the experts (Newell gurus, of course) suggest that we get? I know some of the newer Newell buses come with them but our bus is an ole 1990 'faithful'. We are looking at the Progressive Industries PT50C 50 Amp Portable http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Indust...roduct_top Ouch are these pricey!! I know, cheaper than all new wiring. Does anybody have one? Thanks so much.

Lynn & Jeff, lost in Wyoming

I use a portable TRC Surge Guard which sets between the shore service and the end of my cable. I think there is also a surge protector in my 2001.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

in my 90 (now bills) there is a progressive industries pt50. it worked great. it was hardwired in. so not the portable version.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

Was your pt50 wired to also monitor the genny output or just the shore line?

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I have the Progressive 50amp hardwired in my coach. I should have bought the one with the remote panel. Found out you can't add the remote panel to mine. Having the remote allows you to easily bypass the surge protector if there is a problem with it. On mine I need to use a jumper wire.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337