You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Transfer box problem

Bob,

If you are measuring 120 vac at each leg feeding the breaker box, there should be 120 vac on each buss bar that the breakers are attached to.

With the cover plate off, one can measure the voltage on each buss bar and on the output wires from each breaker (breaker in the ON position). If voltage on buss bar and no voltage on breaker output, bad breaker.

If no voltage on the buss bars, then the connections at the feed wires are bad. You may be able to remake those connections to correct the situation. Do so with the system de-energized.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Bob

Sorry I just got around to reading the post. It sounds like like may have fried the coil that pulls in the contacts for shore power. The coil is replaceable. It's not hard but you have to take the ATS out to gain access.

A quick test is to plug the coach to shore power and then using a plastic or wooden tool to depress the top of the contactor. If you get power then you know the coil is bad.

I had to replace a coil on mine some years ago, I think it was less than fifty bucks.

If you take the ATS out, do burnish the contacts while you have access.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Not transfer box problem??? Just as my a/c guy was removing the burnt board...He says " make sure breakers are OFF" Entering the coach the interior lights are not working...Stumbling my way to the rear closet with flashlight in hand...I turn all breakers off.

anyway, not understanding why lights are off (not working) I start looking around...After checking all I could think about. I checked the Volts coming in L1= 120 L2=0Huh
Started Gennny and the same thing L1=120 L2=0
Call around,
My first go to guy- Tuga Huh "call Newell"
Next call Big Mike at Newell, after telling symptoms he say " Inverter"
Next call Ron SkeenIdea "Check transfer switch"
I did and found one side up other side downBig Grin
However I can't reset so that both stay down!!Dodgy
Called Mike back at Newell " Thats how they are suppose to work"
one up on shore power and the other up on genney!Tongue
He stands on "Inverter is bad"

My question is can HALF OF THE INVERTER BE BAD?
any way to verify?
Good news is that the L1 works the front A/C and refrigerator...

I CAN STILL HAVE COLD BEER AND STAY COOL. Big Grin in the DARK!!
PS still need A/C board.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

I am assuming you turned all breakers back on? Not trying to be a smart guy. If I kill the ac breaker I lose one of the legs.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Will walk back and check...this did occur while he was removing the ac board?????

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

You sure your lights are 120v? Mine are all 12 volts.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Sorry for the delay in response, but a plate of Venison spaghetti got in the way!
Thanks AGAIN Richard. I did turn off breakers for the A/C guy. That does Kill L2!
However I still have no 12v lights, inside. I do have lights connected to chassis (bay area and yard lights).
Next I will check the all off 12v switch at the entrance door?

Seriously! I am looking for a replacement A/C board.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Checked the all-off 12v switch at the door. It has no, zip, nada, nothing!
I'm lost,
Why would I have lost 12v interior lighting at the same time a/c guy is working on pulling the circuit board??

TOTALLY DEFUSED,,

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

NEVER MIND, went back and pull all fuses. The one labeled 12volt master looked good to old eyes!,, NOT!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Glad you got lights again. I always use my voltmeter so I can hear the fuse beep. You can check without pulling the fuse.
I think Newell has the SCS boards again but you need to give them your old board so they can get them rebuilt. Not sure who they use for rebuilding them.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337