You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

12v Electrical Fire

Was the alternator upgrated to a larger capacity at any point.. just wondering.. The latest fix from industry and the marine world is the installation of a smart isolator which includes a relay that shuts down the system untill the over charge or draw issue is resolved.. you can google smart battery isolator and battery seperator... here is an example...
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/p...15_200.pdf You might get with an electrician to figure out the requirements... The marine industry is pretty up on this as fires on boats are a really bad deal as I'm sure yours was also...

Jimmy

I really don't recall ever hearing of an isolator fire from not running the generator after dry camping. As a long time full-timer and dry-camper (in another life) I always started my generator in the morning to make the coffee, charge the batteries, and take the extra heavy load off the alternator. Generator fuel is cheap when compared with buying a new alternator. On my 87 Newell, the heavy load on the alternator after dry camping would also make the belts squeal if I didn't charge the batteries with the generator before hitting-the-road.

Ironically, in the latest Newell newsletter I have an article titled "Generators-Use it or lose it" were I recommend significant use of the generator, given they seldom if ever wear out, and using them often, actually prolongs their life. If you haven't visited our Newell web page at www.newellcoach.com, I invite you subscribe to our recent newsletter addition.

In a future article I will also be recommending using your generator when thunder and lightning is in your area. Starting the generator disconnects the coach from the local power grid, and acts as the ultimate surge suppressor short of a direct hit.
John Clark

John,
I remembered your "lighting" tip twice in the past week and have made it a permanent item to do in this weather.
Hope all is good with you and Vicki ......

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

We have had house batteries be to low to start generator in the morning after long nite of no generator run while dry camping. In that case we start 8V92 and then fire generator right away. Then shut off 8V92 & let generator run to build up house batteries and cook breakfast. Our old "fire breathing dragon" only has 2 8D house batteries so we have to be pretty careful with power usage while dry camping without running generator.

That's the way to do it Big Grin