You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

series 60 radiator leaking

Sounds better than it did on the side of the road yesterday. Sorry you couldn't make it with us. The scenery is just ugly. Waterfalls everywhere. Can't drive without dodging grizzlies. In Jasper for lunch.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Bill the CAC is the Charge air cooler that set on top of the RAD. This cool the tubo charge air. The bolts are in the RAD.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Bill:
The CAC is also called an intercooler and can be air to air or air to water to cool the intake charge from a turbo or supercharger. Cooling the intake charge produces more power.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

more status. the pressure testing showed a few moe week spots. the hose clamps on the coolant line on the top of the engine had been leaking. one was broken. so tightened and replaced them and it is now have 15 psi sitting on it all now. have a drip every 20 seconds or so that i cant find.

where it was leaking originallyt seems to be ok.

we have it about half torn out now.

does anyone know how to get the fan off the hydraulic pump?

tom

Darlene McCloud
2002 Newell - #608 - 2 slides
2008 Honda CRV (toad)

[Maybe these pictures will help

Hold the fan and removed the nut on the end. The fan hub is keyed. I think I unbolted the motor mount frame at the top and bottom which gave me room to get in.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

here are some pictures. more to follow

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

fortunately, my brotherinlaw is very mechanical and very slender. he could fit inside the compartment. we took the lower shrowd off after removing the fan and fan motor and bracket. also had to take off the overflow tank.

it was obvious it had been leaking on the end tanks around the bolts that hold it on. all of them were not tight and we easily turned each one of them on both sides and front and rear about 1/4 turn easily.

after doing that, replacing hose clamps and tightening the upper radiator hose on the water pump, (which was leaking a bit), and tightening all hose clamps i could see, we pressurized the system to 16 psi and as of a little while ago, it had held pressure and no drips in about 4-5 hours.

i left the pressure tester on and will check it in the morning. if it is still tight, we will just assume we got it licked and will put it all back together. if i have to do it again, i will know how and will have to find a skinny friend to help.

tom

this morning in the cool temps it was dripping and there was about a quart of coolant in the clean bucket i put under it.

so....this morning the radiator comes out and the charge air cooler too. worse part is the fluids, not getting it out at this point.

more to follow

tom

i spoke too soon. wayne crawled way back in and the rear top radiator hose was dripping at the same rate as the drip under the coach. so...we put a new heavy duty clamp on it (meaning wayne did) and tightened all the others. i have to say that most of the hose clamps were slightly loose.

we degreased and pressure washed the whole area and i filled the radiator to the midpoint on the sight glass.

then repressurized it to 16psi and we will let it set all day and dry and all night to see if there are any leaks in the morning.

then if we dont have it licked, we will take it all out and to the radiator shop on sat or monday.
hey....i am learning a bunch. here are more pictures of wayne in action.

tom

Sorry for your troubles Tom and wish I had a brother in law like Wayne....Good thing "The Burley Man" wasn't your only helper or it may have mean't trouble......Hope for the best....

Larry

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border