You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Compressor questions

guys one pic is of my water separator and one is of the gauge in the engine bay near the outlet. two questions:

how do I empty the separator as I assume I should?

how do I dial up the pressure on the outlet in the engine bay? assume its one of those dials ontop.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

It looks like an air drier to me. The metal cage is a safety to catch any flying debris in the event the inner glass/plastic vessel fails. There should be a desicant to absorb water vapor in the inner vessel. Wilkerson uses a color coded desicant blue is good, going to clear for time to change it out. Neat like, colored coarse sand grains type of material. Grainger is a good source.

The pressure regulator has a black knob on the top. It has detents in it so you have to lift up on the knob to turn it. On some water accumulators you just push sideways on the black tip on the bottom. Others must be unscrewed to let the water out. Still others use a Schrader valve in the bottom.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I started the coach yesterday and for the first time, in all these years, I have no air in the supply side. The brakes pumped up to 130psi but the supply side stayed at 0. I tried the 110v compressor but nothing happened and I had dumped the system so I can't move the coach. None of the supply side works. I drained any moisture out of all tanks but the small tank in front of the rear drive axle had no air in it, while all 3 other tanks did. Is it possible that a line was pinched when I dumped the air? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

Hi Larry ,
I'm not an expert on air systems....Could there be a major leak on the supply side? Is the 110v compressor running?
Check the dump valves on the air leveling system to see if one is leaking and not allowing that side to air up

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

You say you "tried the 110v compressor but nothing happened". Does that mean it came on but wouldn't build air pressure? or it didn't start up? The 12v compressor will air up the tank in the right wheelwell, so was it off? Are you at your shop where you can hookup shop air from an outside compressor? With shop air you should be able to hear a leak so big it won't build air pressure. I'll have to think about why your engine air compressor wouldn't build pressure on the supply side, but did on the braking side,Huh unless there is a very large leak or a blockage in the supply system. Any thing is possible, but pinching a line by just dumping the air system seems unlikely to me-------but don't rule any thing out. Let us know what happens after hooking up shop air.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Unfortunately, I only have a small portable air compressor that I don't believe will pump enough psi, but I'll give it a shot. The 110v compressor runs but doesn't get any air into the supply tank. My 12v compressor was disconnected some time ago as it leaked a lot. I'm leaning towards a blockage of some type. The puzzle is that it airs up the brakes but nothing in the leveling system. I may have to borrow a larger compressor. I'll keep posting until I discover the culprit.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

I think all air goes through the dryer in the drive side. It then goes through the rear supply tank to all both brake tanks which have one way values to keep air from going back into the systems. You must have a massive air leak some were that the supply tank is trying to fill. Your air compressors engine and 110 must be working or you would have no air in the bake tanks. You have diffidently got a major leak that you should be able to detect. If the small tank in wheel well has no air check in that area.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Thanks Ron, Will do and report back.

Mine did this yesterday. I couldn't leave a campground. It would finally pump up enough to turn off the low air light but leak back down and engage the emergency brake. The hose had come loose at the 110v compressor. I was thinking where are the Gurus ?

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458