You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Inverter
Photo 

Question for you all on inverters. The receptacles and several other things in the coach kitchen do not run unless I am running the generator or hooked to shore power. I am told though that if I have the inverter on that there will be power even if the generator is not running or I am not hooked to shore. I have an inverter on/off light type switch in the bedroom and in the kitchen. I have an inverter toggle switch on the dash as well. And finally there is a small on/off red switch on the bedroom wall above the electrical bay. I had the house and e gone batteries online tonight and had all 4 switches on and had no power to the electrical outlets.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I would bet that there are only dedicated outlets. That is the most desirable way to use the Inverter. Not sure about yours but you should be able to make sure that there is power coming out of the Inverter AT the Inverter, this will prove that operation. Now I would disconnect ALL Power Sources so that I could use a Volt Meter at the Circuit Breaker Panel. This should also help to identify which circuits are being powered.
I have a Circuit Breaker at the Inverter and I also installed a Circuit Breaker at the Power Bay prior to the power going up to the Circuit Breaker Panel. I also installed a Source Isolation Switch that determines what Source of Power goes to that Circuit.
I only allow the Power Inverter to power up the Television at the Bedroom, the Microwave Oven and the Television at the Living area. I also only allow the Power Inverter/Charger to Charge the House Batteries----unless I use the Battery Merge Switch.
Hope this helps

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Todd, my inverter only powers the microwave and ONE outlet in the kitchen. It also powers the outlets in the overhead cabinets for the TV and A/V equipment and the outlet in the master closet for the rear TV and A/V equipment and one outlet in the bath.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Ours does TV's, microwave (which usually pops breaker), ice maker & bedroom 110v lights.