You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans?

I am not a retrogrouch, but I do want to temper this conversation with a different perspective.

First, Newell using a two speed hydraulic setup is very efficient. If you have the older direct driven fan, then there are temperature activated clutches to improve that efficiency. Until the engines reaches above the activation temperature, the fan barely spins.

Second, there is no free lunch. Converting rotational energy through an alternator into electricity, and then electricity back into rotational energy through a motor is not as efficient as the use of hydraulics.

Yeah, I am a little cranky about the seal leak, and the mess it made. But, it lasteded 235000 miles before it leaked, and a poor install the first time on my part doesn't mean I have given up on the original equipment.

If the hydraulic fan runs all the time, as it does when the two speed system fails and it defaults to high, then it results in a 0.5 MPG decrease in my fuel mileage.

So let's just say that the electric fan system could result in that much of a gain over a mechanical system. Let's say that it improved the fuel mileage from 7.5 to 8.0 MPG. If a person put 100,000 miles on the coach after the retrofit here is what the cost savings would be at fuel price of 3.00 per gallon. Fuel costs for 100k miles at 7.5 MPG = 40k dollars Fuel costs at the increased efficiency 37.5K dollars. A maximum savings of 2500 dollars. So if the system can be installed for 10k, one would have to drive the coach for 400K miles to break even on the investment.

Sorry, I am supposed to be in a recovery program for engineers, and this morning I lapsed.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread