You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rear brakes not building pressure after sitting

I did pump the pedal to eliminate all air. I went under the coach yesterday to ensure for the 6th time I had the lines correct. (Front tanks) There are only two 1/2" lines that could possibly be crossed but I "crossed" them to test with the same result. I put them back afterwards. The remaining lines have a specific port based on size of tubing. Front two tanks have manual air drains that I relocated to exterior. Rear tank has auto drain. I do know the aux tank gets air and the brake tank does not. The work lazy was my sarcastic comment on the coach not wanting to be moved and thus not airing up. Both single (front) are brake needle and aux gauge needle hold air for a couple days at least.

After all air was dumped one half of air brake system (White needle did build air as did the aux tank to 120.

Last night I had an epiphany and this morning I got a text from Glen as if to confirm my epiphany. I will plumb in a Milton air hose chuck, a valve for secondary safety which will go to the exterior next to front tank drains. This air chuck will allow me to fill via external compressor the brake tank that is not getting air and hopefully at the very least allow me to move the coach forwards.

With that done I am speculating that somewhere at the back a check valve either failed or a small animal got up there and misadvertantly stepped on the lever valves next to the PPV thereby cutting off air flow. (Fat chance but it is something worth looking at) We do have paw prints all over the property from foxes, coyotes, rabbits, cats and stray chickens.

My goal is to pull the coach up and rebuild the back half components. I hope this works.

Lesson learned?... Build a full length pit on the next one. Also this all did work fine (Air brakes worked and pressure on rear built up) after everything went back together last month.

Final thoughts. I am fairly small too but I have the steel tubing welded between tag and drive axles for a secondary mud flap which hinders access.

By the way, Thank you for responding as any ideas really help!!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Messages In This Thread