You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Height Control Valve Info

Richard, attached is a photo of the air lines to the control valve.  I could not get close to them, but they look like 3/8" lines, not 1/4".  A 5/8" open end wrench fits the nut.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Dumb question: these valves are only for on the road (driving) right? Our bus leans a little to the passenger side when 'level'/parked. I do notice the bus leans like crazy when taking sweeping corners on either side. A far cry from our FT42 which drove like a sports car but this beast weighs a lot more and I think the air bags are further in so maybe that has something to do with it...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,

My coach used to do the same thing. I had Newell add a rear sway bar that really improved the leaning. (My coach already had a front sway bar). Also, I replaced my shocks (after 200,000 miles) and that also improved the leaning.

Since 653 was my first coach, I had nothing to compare it too....but I know I was afraid to drive much over 60 cause of the leaning. With my sway bars and new shocks, the only thing that slows me down is watching the MPG fuel gauge.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Adrian, yes, the height control valves operate when in the travel mode, and the front and rear "six pack" controls when in level mode.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester is correct that the height control valves only operate when in the travel mode. There is a level sensor to determine level that is the control source in level mode. On the older Newells, this level sensor was attached to the underside of the ceiling in a bay at or very near the center of the coach and is adjusted by three screws to change the level. Not sure about the newer coaches.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Be aware that air pressure is fed to the HCV whether or not in the leveling mode. When in the leveling mode the air returning from the HCV is isolated from the air bags. In the travel mode the "travel" solenoid valve is open and allows that air pressure through to the bags.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Adrian,

Look and see if you have a rear sway bar. They make a HUGE difference in tippy cornering.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Would these be the same HCV's on a 1997? Thanks

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

Same thing Rick.
Check Richard's previous posts.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

After the mini-rally in Mobile, AL this actually is starting to make sense to me!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40