You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Request for Coach Weight Info

Michael, I do not go anywhere with a full tank of water. It is usually only 1/4 full. I fill it when I arrive at a park if I am going to be there awhile. I ask MOT to weight the coach without any water or full fuel. I have to presume they did this. I usually fill up at a Exxon truck stop here in Nac. and they have a Cat Scale so I will have it weighed to be sure. I would think that Steve's coach would weight more than mine because it is a bath and a half. I will find out.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I hear that Chappell. Unless I know I will need a bunch of water, I typically run with less than a half a tank and if I'm in the mountains I try to keep it down to about 1/4 tank which is still 40 gallons. I have only run out of water one time. I went to a campground that was full hookups but as soon as I got parked, they had a major water leak reported so the water department shut off the main to the park for the evening and were going to work on it the next day. I didn't have enough water to fix a meal, clean up after, take 2 showers and refill the dogs bowls time after time. Fortunately I had some distilled water to fill in. That extra 3/4 tank of water weighs almost exactly 1000 pounds.

I am surprised that with only a small amount of water and fuel that you were that heavy. I will be interested to know what you find out with a re-weigh. Ask them for a split weight. That way you will at least get a separate read out for the steer axle.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, I will fill the fuel tank and the water will be about 1/4 and we can guess the rest. All my tanks are at the rear of the coach. I will fill the fuel tank and have it weighed. My front tires are new and are 315s so plan to update when they are 3 years old. I never drive more than about 62 MPH except down hill when I just let it coast. Also I carry water for personal needs if I should need it. Not enough to vary the weight.
Not being there when they weighed my coach, who knows what it had in it. I will have it weighed and then we will know. At some time I would like to have each wheel weighed.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

My coach is a 2001 model 45L-102, and is 45'8" long. It is configured with three hanging closets and pull out drawers across the back, king size bed with the shower and sink in the bedroom. In the hallway there are two full closets, commode enclosure, washer/dryer, two slide pantries, and Amana refrigerator/freezer. It has two HWH slides and I have attached a photo of the VIN.

The following weights are with 270 gals. fuel, 160 gals. water, no waste, two persons, but do not include some personal items added later: front axle 17,520, drive axle 23,360, and tag 9,600 for a total of 50,480. Personal items would result in a total of about 51,000.

The plated maximum is: front 18,000, drive 25,000 and tag 12,000 for a total of 55,000. The Michelin tires support a weight of 59,520 which gives a margin of tire safety of about 3,380 on the front and 5,340 on the rear.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Tom, Michael, I just got home from having my coach weight. I have it loaded with all personal items and is full of fuel and about 1/4 water say 40 gals. Water tank is full at 160 gals. So that means that @ 8 lbs per gal and if full it would weight about 960 more. When MOT first weight it, on the same scales, it weighed 400 lbs more with no personal stuff. All bays empty. See photo of my today weight sheet. MOT a year ago is:
Steer axle 16,700 (it is less today)
Drive axle 21,760 (little more today)
Tag axel 9,720 (little less today)
This was weighed with both Mary and myself in the coach today.
So my guess is that MOT weight it with full fuel and water.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Thanks Chappell and Chester.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

We plan to fuel up today in Las Cruces, NM at Loves and I think they have a scale so I'll weigh it.

How do you position your coach on the scales to get the 3 individual weights, steer, drive, trailer (tag)?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

each scale is a little different, so just as the scalemaster how to do it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Forest, on the cat scales there are yellow stripes that separate each of the three scales. The drive and tag stripes are really close. So I got out and made sure they were not on the same scale. In a motor home the buttons the truckers use are unreachable, so I leave the MH on the scale and go in and tell the clerk you want to be weighed and the coach is on the scales now. Then wait until she or he will ask you to pull off and come back in.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

1993 39' serial number 337
Full fuel approx 265 gal, full propane approx 50 gal?, 1/3 water - don't know total capacity but guessing 100 or so gal, two people, packed for 10 day trip, bicycles, tools etc.

steer axle: 12980
Drive axle: 24960
No tag

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed