You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine Overhaul

I highly recommend finding a donor bus with a good engine and trans. The side rad is also a good thing.
This way you will have most of the parts you need, even extra parts like batteries and tires etc. If you try and buy everything separately it will nickle and dime you to death. The labour took us about 100hrs so if you are going to pay someone to do this it could get pricey if its at shop rates these days.
I bought my donor bus for 5500. Too bad the engine wasnt as good as I thought but these things happen. I am happy the parts for the 8.3 are cheap. 903 parts are harder to come by and expensive, also still alot of hours labour so the cost would be probably close to the same as doing an upgrade but in my opinion you will have a much better engine and trans with more readily available parts if ever need be. Plus it will be more sellable with the newer power. I was getting over 9mpg pulling my 22ft boat last year fully loaded. Even worn out it was still hands down better than the old 555. Hope this helps!!

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

I'd be paying shop rates; no time, space, or tools to remove and install something that size. I have one nearby that still does frequent work on older machines so at least they are familiar with engines that don't need to be plugged into a computerWink

If it's rebuild or re-power; I'd definitely go for a newer option as long as the cost is relatively close.

Thanks

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Scott you can ask them what they would roughly charge to do it just to get an idea, donors are not hard to find. Either a salvage rig or a bus. If you opt for the 8.3 and a 3060 allison the best years are 93 to 98 with the mechanical fuel pump. 6cta8.3 cummins. The newer 24 valve engines with the capps electronic fuel pump had issues and would be more expensive to install.
If the labour sounds like it will be too much where you are I know a guy in Missouri that will do it reasonably and he is very reputable.

Love old schoolHeart

Were another step closer with the engine install. Pistons and liners are in. Big Grin

Love old schoolHeart

Looking good!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

nice Big Grin

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Retro,
I used to think I was a do-it yourselfer, but after following your post I'm reclassifying myself to a tinkerer. Very interesting stuff!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Here's another update, the engine is back in and 90% installed. Tomorrow we will make smoke.
I had too order a new throttle lever, should be in tomorrow. Possibly take it for a break in spin!!Big Grin

Love old schoolHeart

Sweeeeet!

Always a big moment of excitement/anxiety when cranking for the first time. Hope the diesel gods are happy tomorrow.

Great idea on using the pallet jack instead of a fork lift. Pallet jacks being much easier to come by.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Very nice Keith! Hope it finds it's way to AR this summer...

Jimmy