You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Airbag problem

Remember the basics. When you are in travel mode, the ride height valves control air going into or out of the airbags rather than the solenoids. If the coach isn't coming back to level one of two things are most likely at play: 1) ride height valve(s) out of adjustment or 2) ride height valve(s) defective.

If the front is going up too high the arm can be adjusted. If that doesn't rectify the situation, the valve is defective. If the left side is not coming up enough the arm can be adjusted. If that doesn't rectify the situation, the valve is defective.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The valve can be defective in a manner that causes it to send maximum air to the bags. Some of you will recall that being the problem with Matt Russos coach when we were in creede

Sorry about the confusion on inflate in level mode. Bill and I had a poor connection and the transmission could have easily been garbled

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Does Newell normally use a off the shelf ride height valve?

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

yes they do and any ride height valve can work if you are able to adapt the mounting bracket.

and they seemed to use 3 or so different ones. the ones i have on the 02 are differenet than what others seem to have.

i have replaced them, but next time will do the fast acting ones that richards used.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yes Marc, My 1993 uses the Ridewell 6300 series RHCV's.
I wonder if in this case the front RHCV malfunctioned ,raising the front to an extreme that activated the left rear RHCV. Depending on the air pressure in the tag axle, and a slight misadjustment of the left rear RHCV, is it possible that the rear drive axle might have sensed a "lift" if it cantilevered on the tag axle thus causing it to deflate the rear?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Could it be a ground issue? The mechanic here seems to think a ground has come loose? Where would he find the ground? He says he can manually inflate and deflate with the ride height valve but as soon as we crank it up in travel mode the front overinflates and left side does not come up... still hoping that I am back on the road today.

Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

The ride height valve itself has no electrical connections. It is purely a mechanical device that uses a rod connected to the axle to move a lever that rotates a valve either allowing more in, letting air out or stopping all air from entering or exiting the airbag(s).

When the front leveling rod (in the middle of the coach side to side and above the front axle) is loosened, raising or lowering the rod with the system in travel mode should cause the front end to raise or lower. If it does both then it is just an adjustment issue. If it doesn't then the valve is bad.

The only way that electricity, with the potential of a bad ground involved, could be involved would be if the solenoid that controls the shifting between travel mode and level mode is not working properly.

I would concentrate on the front one first and see if fixing it solves that rear issue as Dean as suggested. Since you don't have a tag axle, I think that the potential is limited but in any case, I would focus on the front first. When adjusted properly, the metal tube near the bottom of the sidewall just behind the front wheel should sit about 11" to 11-1/2" above the ground.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Confused

I assumed (ASS u me) a tag............Embarrassed

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.