You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Airbag problem

If the airbag has a significant leak, you will be able to hear the air rushing out. In my case the system would maintain pressure, and as long as I was not moving, actually build pressure slowly (a couple of pounds a minute) but as soon as I started moving and the suspension started letting air out with the coach vertical movement, the pressure would start dropping.

To Richard's comment that Bill could not get the left rear to come up in manual mode, that COULD be a clue to a different issue. IF the coach will maintain pressure and if there is no sound of an air leak, then I would start looking at the air system as the culprit. If there is an airbag issue, you should be able to hear air rushing out of the airbag with the engine running. If you don't hear air rushing out, or it is not coming from the front corner that will not come up, you more likely have an air system issue.

Tom, you are correct, if manually trying to lift the corner that is low with a defective airbag WOULD result in you losing supply pressure quickly and would result in that corner continuing to drop. I keep forgetting that Bill's coach has the manual HWH system so it allows you to raise or lower a corner at a time. The automatic HWH systems only allow raising or lowering 2 corners at a time (front or rear, left side or right side). As I recall, the leveling and ride height valves are supposed to be isolated from each other. Richard is the air suspension guru on that system.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I had him do a quick check of the connections at the six pack with nothing obvious reported. If he had a problem with solenoids then both the travel solenoid and the raise solenoid would have to remain closed for the corner not to raise in travel or manual. I think the question about supply air is a good one . Does the engine keep up with the leak? And with engine off how long does it take to leak down? For the second test the ignition switch will have to be on to open the travel solenoids

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The latest conversation I had with Bill was that the coach did come up to level in the leveling mode, but the LR drops down when he places it in travel mode. He has not mentioned hearing any air leaking with the coach running.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

If the coach will level and stay there, it is NOT an airbag issue. Sounds like either the left rear travel height valve adjustment rod has slipped or that valve is defective. If those are the original valves with blue plastic, that plastic can crack and cause a massive air leak.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Guys, it is not an Airbag issue...right now I am with mechanic and it is air supply issue as best as we can tell. He contacted newell and they gave him the basic schematic of the air system... They are testing solenoids and we still have the same problem...too much air to the front of coach and not enough to the rear...I'll keep you posted.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

glad you are making progress. i dont understand the comment of too much air in the front. that doesnt seem likely.

hope you find the issue quickly

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, we let all the air out and put in travel mode and it overinflates to a height well above ride height...we found a bad solenoid but we still cannot seem to get the front airbags to deflate in travel mode to the correct ride height...any ideas?

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

The only way to adjust ride height is by adjusting the linkage on the ride height control valve. Does your post mean that the LR is now airing up to ride height?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I'm with Michael. Ride height control valves are relatively inexpensive. There are only three of them on my 1993 Newell. If they haven't been replaced recently I would start there.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

When I was at Newell ride height valves are a common part for them to ship out. Fir what's it worth

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex