You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Closed

Can we talk maintenance cost?

Yep! Much less than living in a Stick House.....

Jimmy

I think you are high on the maintanace side, but maybe by only a few thousand

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Agreed Marc.

One of the biggest difference in long term expenses between fulltiming and living in a stick house is depreciation. While it is possible to buy high and sell low in a stick built house, generally over a long period of time there is little depreciation (except in the late 2000's), while most RV's generally depreciate at 5-8% of its current value per year.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(07-25-2014, 02:07 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  While it is possible to buy high and sell low in a stick built house, generally over a long period of time there is little depreciation (except in the late 2000's),

I'm the King of buying High and selling low...I have a AZ home...cheap!

Jimmy

That seems to be an affliction around here.

We sold our house in 2000 and were out of the market for 10 years. The major price increases during the early 2000's were brutal but they came tumbling down again. Some areas are still suffering (like AZ) and other areas are doing OK as long as you bought prior to the double digit annual increases in the 2002-2006 years or bought after the housing market crashed and burned.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Hi Guys,

One thing I'd like to come back to are slides. What slides can you reasonably have allowing good space when extended. But still allowing access to the major component of the coach when all slides are in?

I want all the space I can get when permanently parked but definitely want coach access when parked overnight at WallMart or under power.

Thank you all,

Harry

Our quad we have no issues accessing everything on the coach. Compared to my double I have the same room in the front but I have more room in the back with the slides in than the double. Due to the Murphy bed,,As far as camping overnight. It takes 5 mins to put the slides out and I have never had a problem doing it at a Walmart.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Two!

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappel is correct, anytime you exceed two slides, you will have to pay attention to the floorplan. Deeper cabinets across from the foot of the bed and you will have to crawl over the bed if you need to get to the back. Anything that sticks out very far in the salon will become a barrier to go over or around. I have a friend that had one of the stunning center island bed quad slides with deep cabinets on both sides. With the bedroom slides in, the cabinets were up against the bed on both sides. The 1/2 bath was all you had access to without putting out a slide OR literally climbing over the footboard/TV cabinet at the end of the bed, crawling across the bed and swinging around the side of the head of the bed. He had to stack the hassocks on top of the recliners and turn them sideways to comfortably walk through the front.

The trick is to have all the slides during part of the time you are looking at the coach and then try staggering down the aisle and laying on the bed to see what, if anything you lose access to. Since Newell will build almost anything a customer wants and since some customers don't cook in their coaches, you could run across one that has limitations you would not normally think about until you have to spend the night somewhere that you can't open the slides due to space constraints.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Anyone have experience with the Island Bed floor plan? Looks great, but not seen it w slides in.

Jimmy
Thread Closed