You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Puck lights

michael, at 50 bucks each, that would have been 3500 bucks for mine.

vince. i would really suggest playing for a few dollars with the led replacments for those halogen bulbs. what i did is bought 3 or 4 different ones and colors to see what we liked and what fit and such.

they turned out great and i paid a dollar or a little more for each one.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

as forest knows, the best way to install led bulbs or fixtures is to try each one in the fixture before you close it up. about hlaf of mine i had to reverse the polarity of the wires.

tom

Thank you all for the wealth of information. I have tried the LED bulbs in a couple of my fixtures. Because of the lens cover being frosted they are not bright enough for me. I like the super bright led 36 High Power SMD LED Puck Light Fixture. That is exactly what I am looking for. Next project, I will be replacing all my window blinds and motors with blackout blinds. I found this: rollertrol.com/store/en/88-diy-blind-shade-motor-kits.

2002 Newell Coach 621. The harder I work, the luckier I get.

i looked at those fixtures. really nice. you will have to tell us how it works out.

tom

Will do. I am buying them tomorrow after I get a count.

Not bright enough.

I am surprised. On the advice of the gurus, I bought the fleabay LEDs that just fit in the pucks. A little different interchange ordering them from China, and they come in a padded envelope with no paperwork. BUT, they were about .75 each, and I only had one fail. I have a hard time getting the pins into the fixture, but that is not the led problem. I had the same problem with halogens. I found it quicker to remove the three screws holding the puck, remove the back cover to gain access to the pin holder, and then insert the LED. It's a lot less vocabulary exhortations that way too.

They are bright enough to Xray you, even with the frosted cover. That's an exaggeration of course, but they are just as bright as the halogens that were replaced.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I had the same issue as Richard. On probably half of the fixtures I had to pop off the back cover and hold the clips while I inserted the leds. I usually try to find someone on ebay that is in the USA in case I have to return them. Much simpler than trying to return something to China.
The leds I bought have 9 leds/fixture and I find they are the same brightness as the halogens. I used the light meter on my camera to compare the brightness.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest: you be one clever dude; it would never occurred to me to use the camera light meter to test the brightness of a bulb - brilliant!

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

My mechanic will be installing the new puck lights tomorrow. I will post how they look and see if I can get a picture. Again, thanks to all of you for the great advice.

on an amusing note along the lines of using the foot candle photography meter.....as i designed the lights for my shop, i delved into what brightness to have at what level above the floor etc. but i really didnt know it in practice. so michael took his light meter all over his house, walmart, costco and other places and got me measurements so i have some relative compararisons......

tom