You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

discussion on radiators/CAC mounting ideas for series 60

I would recore which should be good as new.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Forest, What prices did Newell give you?

Roger Burrk had his 99 Foretravel radiator rebuilt while he was having everything else done here in Nacogdoches by Bernd. I am going to keep my fingers crossed and hope if I have radiator problems it will be here or near Newell. There is a Kenworth, Peterbuilt, and Mack place 20 miles south of me, and Bernd here in Nac. has done a number of them.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Newell quoted 20-40 hours depending on the year + about $3500-4000 for the radiator place they use for a recore.
Bernd quoted me $1000 to pull out and re-install and the radiator place he uses about $650 to pull the tanks and rod out. More if they have to replace the core or individual tubes.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Wow, that is a big difference in price.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Bernd has done a number of jobs for me at about half of what Foretravel charges. Plus if it is more than a one day job, you can stay in the coach plugged into 50 amp power, Foretravel sends you to a hotel unless the coach can be moved. That would not happen if the radiator was out.

Bernd is the go to man for engine problems for Motor Homes of Texas and services James Stalling's Series 60 in his Prevost.

Bernd's overhead is less than the factory's which helps keep costs down. While there check out his show big trucks and 1970 Benz.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Would you post Bernd's contact info? That could come in handy someday.

Thanks!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

i was contacted by mark. here is what he sent me. he had been reading these posts.

"Just in case any of your members may have a need. I work at Active Radiator. We are a manufacturer of heavy duty cooling system products. Radiators, Charge air coolers and oil coolers. We do not sell directly to the public but we have a massive nationwide dealer network and have made a charge air cooler for 1 of the Newell motor coaches in the past. We do not have much information on this charge air cooler other than it exists but this can be recored by us in a reasonable amount of time. So basically if anyone is looking for assistance with cooling systems products we will glad to assist them. Again thanks for all your help.
Thanks,
Mike V.
215-901-7012 Work Cell"

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I talk to Duralite in Canada today about CACs and RADs. You have to go through a dealer in their net work. A lot of the dealer are Detroit dealer. They have built one CAC for a 2004 Newell they thought. They would build this one for around 1700 and be interested in CACs for Newells. The guy I talked to said they were not interested in building any RADs. They do for bluebirds but it is for the bus market not the Motorcoaches.I tried the JB Weld and it did not work I am going to try again for my next trip segment.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Bernd Ramspeck 936.707.1584

He is located on Hwy 21/7 East near the Hwy 21 Hwy 7 split on the east side.

Ron, Foretravel rads are made by Atlas in Corpus Christi.

Posted this with my phone as Safari on my I-mac
using the phone as a hot spot would not go through.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Atlas in Corpus Christi did both the CAC and RAD for my 96. I think my 04 has the same set up. The 96 is located on the floor on the engine compartment where the 04 is recess below the floor. You would have to raise the RAD to remove in the 04 where in the 96 it slid straight out after the CAC was removed. I think they are the same in the 96 and 04. I remove the CAC 3 times form the 96. First time took to the Manufacturer who welded and pressure ck and said it would last. Cheap fix 400 lasted 2 yrs Labor myself. Second time S & S Denver 3K they removed and re cored 3000 lasted 6 yrs. Third time Atlas 1400 labor myself. Took out the 4th time to install new RAD from Atlas 1500 labor myself. My experiences would be; If one goes bad do both because the labor is about same. Don't patch or re core, unless someone give a warranty covering labor and parts both because labor is as much as the parts. Duralite patented system really look good and I wish they would consider making a RAD too. Atlas did a good job also. All leaks i have had are always where the core goes into the side tanks. Your can check after engine has been on a trip and hot with fast idle set. Mine have always showed up by spaying soapy water in the area with everything hot.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck