You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HWH Series 680 leveler problem

Hi Gang,
I just drove 1200 miles from Tulsa to my winter home base in Las Vegas. Major problem when I stopped, the hwh leveling system 680 series won't work. It won't add or delete air. I talked with Mike Ellis at Newell and we tried all he knew to no avail. He told me to call HWH Corp. and ask for a tech, so I did. The girl on line there told me the techs were very busy, but she would have them to call me in about 2 weeks. That's when I told her that didn't seem to be a very good way to run a business and that's when she hung up. I have the an old operator's manual for the 680 series, plus I read some of the new manuel Steve Bare but in. No where can I find a trouble shooting list. I've checked all of the fuses I can find, all ok. I have air 80 and 70 psi. it was 110 and 100 before I pumped the brakes down. When I have it out of gear with the parking brake on and I push the air button the lights all flash on, the red ones go out, the 4 yellow stay on until I take my finger off the air switch, then only light is the travel light. As I was coming out of Flagstaff I ran over what looked like a piece of trim from a car and it something under the rig. I read somewhere that the level sensing unit may be between the front tires. I don't know what to look for here. One of my safety cables for my car was ground in two, It was a little bit to long and could have just dragged or I could have lost air in the back allowing it to drag. Anyway I need your advise and suggestions. My unit is #516, almost the same as Steve's.
Thanks for your help.[/u]

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

On my 1998 the sensor is in the 2nd basement compartment back from the entry door. It's in the middle up in the top of the compartment. Can you pull power for a couple minutes and try again?
Can't remember where the "brain box" is located.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest I have a TV in that door, I can see around it, but all I see from that side is A/C return. I don't know what it looks like. I didn't understand your 2nd. part about the power.

Bob & Peg Standeford
2004 Saturn Wagon

Remove or turn off the electrical power to the HWH system in order to re-boot the computer or brains to the system. Then try again after a few min..

Jimmy

If I remember right on 512 toward s the top of the bay is a metal looking bracket thing. I believe there is a mercury switch that is the sensor. I could be wrong it may have been 507. Richard is it in your coach?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

OK how do I cut the power to that system? Can I do it by removing the 12 volt fuses that are up front on passenger side. No. 5=Automatic leveling, no 13=same thing, no. 28 same thing, and no. 33=levelers

Bob & Peg Standeford
2004 Saturn Wagon

First , do you have a dash HWH ''reset" button ?? Push and hold it with everything on. If not resetting you have to go under the driver in the first compartment to the "main" computer box for the leveling system and you can try playing with the 4 plugs for good connections and active lights. I experienced a cracked diode that made my entire system go down and it was a 15 cent part. It seems that you do NOT have a communication problem with your keypad and system since you get red then yellow lights in sequence. Your level sensor should be in the 3rd bay back on the drivers side toward the center on a ledge and has springs and a plate that should be level. Air is not moving into the system and check valves and solenoids could be worth pursuing... Randy @ HWH has always been really good with any problems I have had over the years, but does require patience for the initial call back, since they do one customer at a time on the "help" line. It took only 1 day for my last call back about a year ago and once they start with your problem they will take your calls right away until fully fixed. Newell has not been able to assist me with HWH problems the last 4 years, so I was forced to wait for the call back and the first time it was only a few hours...

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

bob,

try calling this fellow (look at this link), my post about him.

tom

http://newellgurus.com/Thread-hwh-part-n...0#pid13420

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Bob,

I have 512, so I may be able to help with some basic diagnostics.

First, will the coach maintain travel height with the engine running? Do you know how to check that? What air pressure is on all three gauges with the engine running, and the coach in travel mode?

Second, the easiest way to reset the "brain" on our era is to remove the four screws that hold the HWH panel to the console, gently remove the control panel, and then disconnect it from the ribbon cable for a few minutes. We do not have the button that Larry is referencing. I spent an hour looking for it to no avail.

Call me 817 223 2056 if you want. Not busy today at all

Bob, one more thing. This thread became confusing to following when you mentioned the level sensing unit between the front tires.

The height control valve for the front is between the front tires, deep up into the suspension well. It controls front height when in travel mode.

The level control sensor that tells the HWH how to level the coach in level mode is well protected in a bay. I can take a picture of it if you are interested in what it looks like.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The "button" if you have a HWH reset is located just below my radio/cd player in line with the battery merge and fast idle switches and is a solid red push button. I guess some have it and some don't.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border