You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Potential Huge Issue with Engine

Try to get pics of the crank rod journals. A miracle has occurred if the rod bearings aren't there and the crank and rods have no damage!
Thanks,

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

They said those were both fine.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Maybe I can shed some light on this debate by answering a question nobody has asked,,,.. Single weight oil molecules tend to be round. The weight of the oil is determined by the size of the molecule. Multiweight oil (say 10w30) is made by starting with 10 weight oil ( small molecule= less lubricating cushion than 30w). In order for the oil to achieve a 30w viscosity at high temperatures they add VI or viscosity improvers. The molecule of a VI is long and round,,,like spaghetti. It can be 1000 times longer than a 10w oil molecule. At 30 degrees the VI rolls up into a ball allowing the oil to effectively be 10w viscosity. As the temperature increases the VI tends to uncurl and stiffen thus causing the oil to thicken. The compromise here is that VI's by themselves have very little lubricating qualitys. Additionally they tend to shear under high pressure loads leading to a break-down of the oils viscosity over time. The larger the viscosity spread ie. 10w40 vs 10w30 the more VI is needed yielding an end product more susceptable to shear loads.
If I remember correctly Detroit Diesel specified single weight oils because of higher shear loading that their engine design placed on engine oil. Other engine designs specify a multi-weight oil partly because it "washes" over internal engine components faster thus carrying heat away faster.
IMHO a 10w30 or 10w40 used in place 0f a 30w for a short time under moderate conditions should not lead to immediate engine failure.
I am NOT a lubrication engineer and would yield to anyone on this board who is.!! This info is only from my own research.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Dean, you may not be a lubrication engineer, but I just tripled my knowledge base on oil viscosity by reading your post.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Dean, you da man!

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Here is the latest update. The engine is in the process of being rebuilt. They have decided while things are apart that they do in fact want to replace all bearings. The blower was good, the alternater was good, but they sent it down to be cleaned up and i think added some new bushings if I recall correctly. I ordered the insulation from Steve at Dupree and they will hang that in the engine compartment as well as in the area around the blower where the insulatuion was bad. I have a new patio awning arriving next week and have also pulled out the old backup monitor so Tim can figure out a camera for me. I told the guys i wabnt it ready for the South Dakota pheasant opener in the thrid week of October so they will march to that date.

BTW all you Newell hunters maybe we should have a mini rally next fall at Dawn's unlces ranch in the middle of the state by the Missouri river. He is a true rancher so the birds are wild, but SD is the pheasant capital of the nation. Some years we limit out a dozen guys in a couple of hours and some years we walk all day and fill half our limit, but it is always fun. Lets think about that.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Since you've go the DD apart, makes sense to replace all the bearings. Glad you are able to get the insulation installed before the DD goes back in. You will be happy you did all you are doing, since the engine is out anyway. Is the new Patio Awning coming from ZipDee?

When you say "Fall" are you talking late September, or October?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(09-26-2012, 07:35 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Since you've go the DD apart, makes sense to replace all the bearings. Glad you are able to get the insulation installed before the DD goes back in. You will be happy you did all you are doing, since the engine is out anyway. Is the new Patio Awning coming from ZipDee?

When you say "Fall" are you talking late September, or October?

Awning is from Zip Dee. Pheasant season starts in October. However the game farms open in September. I know a guy who owns a very nice one and you will always limit at his place in a few hours. They will clean the birds as well while you relax and tell hunting lies...I mean stories. But they typically charge ariound $200 a gun for the day. It includes guides and dogs so it's all inclusive.

However my wife's uncle will let us park and hunt his place for free. We just have to take our chances that the birds are good at his place that year and that can be hit or miss.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Sounds like it is coming together. Did you ever get those Valves ordered? Here is the MAC supplier in SD;
http://www.hartfiel.com/

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

(09-27-2012, 07:55 AM)prairieschooner Wrote:  Sounds like it is coming together. Did you ever get those Valves ordered? Here is the MAC supplier in SD;
http://www.hartfiel.com/

Got the valves Steve. Larry had about half of them replaced. But the engine took away his focus so we will circle back to that taskI saw the kits today. Wow I have loads of expensive shiny parts in that engine now. Can't wait to see what she drives like.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia