You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Adjust Girard Awning G-2000

Gang,

My Girard main awning (Girard G-2000) was not adjusted for slope and essentially extended straight out from coach.  This caused two problems.  1)  It was ugly and looked weird.  2)  Water would pool in the middle of the fabric during rain storms.  

Steve Bare, loaned my his "Adjustment and Repair Manual".  The book give you insight into how to make the adjustment but came up a little short.  

This post is to provide a little insight and some pictures which should help you get started.
  •   Each arm is adjustable, and from what I experienced has a wide adjustment latitude.  
  •   There are two bolts that need too be loosened and one that does the adjustment.
  •   In order to make the adjustments easier, only extend your awning a few feet.  (Fully extended puts a lot of weight on the adjustment bolt).
  •   You are going for 20 (or more) degrees down angle from the coach, and a 3 degree front to back angle.  
  •   Use a 19mm (3/4")  wrench on both the set bolts and the adjustment bolt.
  •   It takes a lot of torque to move the bolts (I tried some WD40 and it helped but did not make it easy)
  •   The overall adjustment is not difficult.
  • **The manual said to turn clock-wise (looking from the bottom) to lower.  In my case your had to go counter-clock-wise.
So, here are steps.

1)  Extend your awning a few feet
2)  On one arm loosen both side bolts on the out base of the arms.  (See pictures)
3)  Adjust the bottom adjustment bolt.  (counter-clock-wise to lower)
4)  Repeat for other arm.
5)  Once you are pretty close, extend the awning and measure from the ground to the front of awning, and again from back.  (You are going for 3 degrees of front to back tilt).
6)  Pull the awning in and make fine adjustments until you have the right slope away from coach and the correct front to back slope.
7)  Tighten the set bolts .
8)  Enjoy a cold beverage under your newly adjusted awning.

Cheers,
bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thankk you for the insight

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Good write up Bill.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com