You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Everyone check

Yesterday I went to open the engine door on the rear of the coach and the cable that runs to each of the latches that you pull down to release broke.  It is a SOB to have to get the latches to release if it breaks.. Everyone check theirs and if it's worn replace it.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Good thought, Marc!

I have been redoing the cables that keep my basement doors from swinging too far out....but never thought about the cables that attach to the latches. Will probably replace for general purposes!

Thanks!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

5$ at lowes and 5 mins work

Marc Newman

Lubricate all the latches regularly and you'll take a lot of wear off the cables.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I prolly should hit them with some wd 40

Marc Newman

WD 40 is NOT a lubricant. It pulls the lube out of whatever you spray it in. WD is water displacing. Not being a know it all, just use a spray lube and not wd 40.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you Richard. I will not use wd 40.. How is Newell?

Marc Newman

I always though this was going to happen every time i opened the engine cover.  

So i drilled a 1/4" hole in the cover just opposite the latch arm on each side.  Now i can use a phillips head screwdriver or similar to open the latch if the cable breaks.

installed a small plug........ Looks like the engine cover came that way.

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

(06-26-2015, 01:26 PM)MARK FINCKE Wrote:  I always though this was going to happen every time i opened the engine cover.  

So i drilled a 1/4" hole in the cover just opposite the latch arm on each side.  Now i can use a phillips head screwdriver or similar to open the latch if the cable breaks.

installed a small plug........ Looks like the engine cover came that way.

Great fix, please post pictures.
Thanks 

1996 Coach #422 Fulltiming

hi,

some pics of mod on engine cover ..so u can still open it..if one of the cables gets disconnected......

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.