You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Electrical problem

1993 42ft 8v92 17.5kw Martin gen. I only have power on leg 1 with shore power or generator, any ideas? 
Tom Gray 
[email protected]

I would start at the power transfer switch. On mine it is in the compartment where the power cord comes in

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

That is the only common thing other than the main breaker

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

On my '82 there is a custom relay panel at the shore power inlet. These contactors isolate the shore power from the generator power. Not so sure what you are describing so more info is needed.
I would start by reading the voltage coming in. Next moving to the circuit breaker switch panel to confirm the voltage on each leg. This should give us more info but it sounds like the problem would be in the switch panel....good luck!

here is a link to a previous discussion;
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2216

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Agreed, the transfer switch would be the best place to start the search since that is the first common location for current from both the generator and shore power. If you have voltage on both legs of the output from the transfer switch, the main breaker panel is the next stop. Turn the main breaker off and back on to see if you have a partial trip there. I presume you are not seeing any voltage or current draw on one leg on the meters in the front overhead compartment. If an air conditioner trips out, the voltmeter for that leg doesn't register on my coach even though the remainder of the circuits in the coach are really live so make sure that the outlets and appliances on that leg are really out. If they are live but the meter is not showing any voltage, then check all the air conditioner circuit breakers.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(08-14-2015, 04:17 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  I would start at the power transfer switch. On mine it is in the compartment where the power cord comes in
I tapped on the relays and plug and unplugged the power cord a couple of times and everything is normal now. Thanks for the help. Tom Gray

if those relays are sticking it will likely happen again. i would take an airgun and spray the dust and dirt out of them. with the power off.

i rebuilt mine in my 90. not hard. i put in new relays (2 big and 2 small) in them from grainger.

tom

I agree with Tom, When you get a chance you may want to get a good look at the Contactors (relays). The contacts typically have a silver plating and when worn there could be pitting. I have seen the pitting cause numerous problems when I was in the industry.
Not hard just take lots of pics and diagrams along the way....even if a "professional" does the work.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...fer+switch

this is the post on my rebuilding the transfer switch in my 90.

tom

Im having a similar problem. I'm a new newell owner. 2005. i keep tripping the breakers at the pole. i have 0 watts on leg one and 2000 or so on leg 2. isolated the a/cs to this. only one a/c is on leg one. three on two. silver leaf showing 0 watts on leg one and with one a/c on about 600. leg two with all three on somewhere around 3600. those numbers could be off a little. I've slept since then! any help is appreciated. i hate electricity! anything that will bite you you can't see isn't good!

Could be anywhere in the world!
Capt Bruce & Loretta Forbes
Boeing 777
Coach #729
2005 Quad