You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

478 Repair and Maintenance Records - the LIST

I did find a toolbox that I liked at Menards in Davenport, IA - it has 7 drawers and fills the bay where the previous owner either had a toolbox or freezer on a slideout tray.  Lucky for me the slide out tray fit the toolbox nicely and after I drilled a few holes it bolted on just fine with room to spare.  I pushed the box out off the leading edge of the slideout tray so it would clear the bay door so the toolbox lid would go all the way up.  I think I need to move it out about another inch but then the bay door would not close.  I think what I will do is move the slideout tray further towards the door so it slides out further and then move the toolbox back a few inches.  The box slides out fine but it just barely clears the bay door with the toolbox lid up - it scratched the bottom of the bay door a little but if I put some pressure on the bay door  all is well.  

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

We did figure out, after much trial and error, what the water valves do.  There is one that is a drain for the tank on the left side, one for filling the tank through the main filter, one for allowing city water directly into the coach (on right as I recall) that basically closes off the line to the tank (I may have these two backwards).  I will have to build a schematic of the system...  I believe that there are two Everpure filters that connect to the sink and refrigerator filtered water systems.  There is also a main water filter into which I installed a carbon filter in and that made the water taste better (or maybe it was just psychological...). 
I bought an RO system by Whirlpool from Lowes last week but have not installed it.  After reading some articles I may just opt for several filters (10, 5, 1, .04 and a UV light) to kill all the bad junk in the tank and city water systems. 
We are getting a new instant hot water system along with a new counter top combined hot/cold faucet from Amazon.  Will let you know how it works out... we just need to change out the microwave and stovetop and we would have a completely new kitchen! (ain't gonna happen).  Maybe we will change out the sink next but that may be a Newell/Foretravel job (whoever is closer)...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

The sink is molded/integral with the countertop. Replacement options are 1) replace the entire countertop or 2) cut the sink out and install a new over the top edge sink. If the issue is scratches, a professional can sand it down and make it almost like new. I tried it myself in our bricks and mortar house and spent weeks with fine Corian dust settling all over the house (yes, I was using a small electric sander with a vacuum hose attached to a shop vac but it didn't prevent the white dust). The professional had a sander with a large vacuum, multiple filters inline and a hood over the sander to catch the particles that would get loose otherwise.

I have the dual Everpure filters that Newell originally installed in my coach. The filters (THM#1 EVRPRE#960126 and THM#2 EVRPRE#960136) are pricey but extremely effective assuming you change them out every year. Those filters only feed the ice maker, drinking water dispenser on the sink and since I replumbed it, the InstaHot since we use that for hot tea.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Aquired a hot water dispenser from Everpure but after two failed units I am going to return and get the Insinkerator 2/3 gallon unit to try. We had the Everpure in our Bird and it worked very well but they must have quality issues and their support is useless, all they suggest is to return the unit each time I call.
We purchased a nice bronze (I wanted chrome but was vetoed) faucet and soap dispenser along with a Hot/Cold filtered water dispenser (Insinkerator) and new 2/3hp insinkerator disposal unit (very quiet now).
I'm adding two additional filters under the sink for a 1 micron and ceramic .4 micron filter but have not been able to get them installed (no time) yet.
Fixed the front porch Kwikee step with a new arm/motor kit (used existing motor) and it is working very well.
The 365 tire install went well and the tires at 100lbs of pressure ride great plus I have plenty of extra weight capacity.
Installed a new Sony car stereo, ripped out the old 30" TV from the overhead compartment (much quieter on bumpy roads!).
Installed and rewired a new rear and two side view cameras (need to move them outside somewhere) with a color monitor - works great and I can see the Jeep perfectly, camera needs to be raised and the night vision lights (reflect off clear plastic shield) need to be covered and then it will work perfectly.
Did the alternator full 4 step test and sent results to Penntex - it looks like a ground problem but after R/R the positive and ground wires from the rear of the alternator it still does not work. It may be the elusive third wire causing the problems but will remove the alternator next week and have it rebuilt.
It's been a very busy week!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

We still cannot get the instant hot water dispenser to work. Have tried two Everpure units and now have an Insinkerator model but it still is not working... Will call them Monday and see what the problem is - We have an Insinkerator disposer, dual hot/cold spigot, and the instant hot water dispenser (all Insinkerator) so you would think they would work together! Nope...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

The slide rooms have not been working and after a long bout of testing with Newell it was decided that we needed a new, shiny 4" motor to replace the 3" motor.  I got the part numbers from service and gave them to the Parts department along with paying for overnight delivery.  The part came in fine and it was VERY simple to install (two 8mm or 10mm bolts go all the way through the motor into the pump and there is no fluid leakage while doing this operation).  Only problem was they sent the exact same 3" motor that I had before... One of the bolts (see picture) was also bent like someone dropped it on its head so I called the hotline (it's Saturday) and was told to call back Monday and order the right part... Thanks for the help... So I went ahead and put on the 3" motor since we are tired of living on top of all our junk, added some fluid to the mid point between the two marks and tried the living room slide (without the engine running since the alternator is still dead).  It worked!!!  13.5 volts (merged with the house batteries) sent the slide out perfectly and also the bedroom slide went out perfectly!  We now have room to roam and most of all the dog is happy with all the new-found space...  I will probably order the 4" motor on Monday (they are only $145 or so)...  On the bright side I spent an hour cleaning out the bay where all the pump motors are and it looks much better now!  

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire