You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

knob attached to fuel primer pump

I am trying to get access to the top of my fuel tank to check out the fuel sending gauge unit and ground. To do so, I have to remove the polished stainless panel, and to remove the panel, I need to remove the knob to the fuel primer pump. Does anyone know how to remove this knob?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

Been there, done that! It just unscrews - at least mine does. If the shaft insists on turning too, you may have to pull the plunger out as if you were going to use it as a pump, grap the shaft with some pliers, then unscrew the knob.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

that knob is missing on mine. i asked newell when i was there they didnt have any and wasnt sure where to get them.

i guess i need to go buy a bunch of different knobs and see if i can find one that fits. i might even try making one out of the plast-aid and a nut.

unless any of you have any easier ideas.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Tom,
Check out a floor gear shifter knob...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LTS-SK00011/
The skull design is not to my taste but you get the idea B-)
Depending on the thread size you need there may be a threaded collar adapter that would make it a simple install.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If it doesn't unscrew then check for a small setscrew on the base.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

If you know the thread size, McMaster has a handy collection of threaded knobs.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

yea, i will try different nuts on it and then go look at ace hardware, i saw they have an assortment.

thanks

tom

when one of you that have that fuel tank primer valve and handle have a chance. please take a picture of it for me? like is the thread exposed on the top of the handle or is it closed? and what is the diameter of the knob.

thanks!

tom

Tom, I will try to take mine off on Monday, and will post a photo and measurements. On mine, there are no threads exposed inboard of the knob, and no set screw.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Tom attached are 2 photos of the knob. I am trying to remove the stainless panel next to the fuel tank so that I can work on my fuel sending unit. However, the stainless panel will not slide out unless the complete door is removed, according to Newell service. I realize that gas struts are attached, and I am concerned about doing something stupid and hurting myself or the coach. Has anyone taken one of these doors off and what caution information will you share?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey