You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic Basement Door Latches

I am looking for some new basement door latches for our classic.  I'm looking for the actual latch and the part in the picture below.  It holds the doors open, they tend o break.  I have two that work out of 9.  I think the actual door latch is a Ford part but can't find a part number on any of them.  

Would any other Classic owners know if these were original and where I might be able to find them? If there not original do you know what was?  Trying to keep everything as original as possible on the exterior.  

Ok, lights may be a exception to the original.  Has anyone replaced all their exterior lights with LED's?  Do you like the way it looks? 

Thanks,
Roy...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Part attached to body of coach.

This is attached to the exterior of the basement door.

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Hi Roy,
I found new stainless steel latch handles here:
http://www.orrorr.com/index.html
I don't know if they have the door catches you need. I would call them directly because it is possible they don't have everything online. They have a real nice print catalog.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If you cant find new ones I believe those could be removed, cleaned up and restored.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Although I am interested in a replacement source, too, I have to say my experience is they do not tend to break easily. In the 8 years I have owned my 1982, and over 53,000 miles driven not one has broken, or even looks like it will. I see your Newell is a 1974, and maybe I haven't reached the magic age where they start breaking.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks for the information.

Clarke,
My door latches are in good condition, they are tarnished and the coating is peeling off them. I haven't figured out how to refinish them. Replacing might be reasonable and much faster.

The little holders at the top that keep the door in the open position have all broke but two. I think they are stainless steel but they are soft like aluminum and break when they bend.

Thanks,
Roy...