You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

DOT Considering Requiring Speed Limiters on Trucks and Buses over 26,000 pounds

Like many laws, this is one with good intentions and lots of bad consequences.

I wonder is the limiter going to be set at a maximum or gps so that it changes with the road the truck is driving on? A truck going 65 in a 45 is more dangerous than a truck going 65 in a 60.

Most of the near accidents I've witnessed resulted in other cars being the culprit... like a jack ass in a car sling shotting around a truck only to slam on its brakes and cause the truck (or me!) to slam on mine. This often happens at slow speeds or even traffic jams.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

What has happened to our nation? What ever happened to individual responsibility and common sense?

No more individual responsibility or common sense, Clint. If something is already illegal and still occurs, you no longer increase enforcement, the current solution is to ban it regardless of the unintended consequences.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

These vehicles already have speed limiters. They are also know as throttles and brakes.

My 1988 Foretravel with. Cat 3208 and 4-speed Allison had a great speed limiter. Foot to the floor, all day long at 62mph...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40