You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dash Leveling switch wiring

I believe that the Leveling mode switch changes it from Travel Mode to Leveling Mode. I don't think that there was an 'automatic leveling mode' on the Newell system. They used the HWH control panel and computer when they went to an automatic leveling mode.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Sorry, but I am easily confused. There are two switches in the conversation, the Master switch and the Leveling switch.

Can you confirm the master switch raises or lowers all four corners? If so the answer to your question "So that could explain why the green/black stripe wire from the top of the master switch is connected to that bunch without a diode?" is yes. Also there should be second group connection like that for All Down.

On the leveling switch, I can imagine logic that would power the four travel solenoids when the switch was off. Can you get a pic of the back of the Level switch.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-24-2016, 04:59 PM)Richard Wrote:  Sorry, but I am easily confused. There are two switches in the conversation, the Master switch and the Leveling switch.

Can you confirm the master switch raises or lowers all four corners? If so the answer to your question "So that could explain why the green/black stripe wire from the top of the master switch is connected to that bunch without a diode?" is yes. Also there should be second group connection like that for All Down.

On the leveling switch, I can imagine logic that would power the four travel solenoids when the switch was off. Can you get a pic of the back of the Level switch.
Sorry it took so long, but here is the back of the Auto-Manual switch.  I tested the different contacts on the back with the switch in the up and down position, but only with the switch up did the upper right contact, with the two red wires, have power .  
I'm not sure why the photos uploaded upside-down?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-24-2016, 04:53 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  I believe that the Leveling mode switch changes it from Travel Mode to Leveling Mode. I don't think that there was an 'automatic leveling mode' on the Newell system. They used the HWH control panel and computer when they went to an automatic leveling mode.

This is probably borderline electrical and air systems, but when the switch is in "auto/travel" the coach seems to level itself on slightly uneven ground. And if I raise the coach manually, after I switch back to auto, it will slowly settle back to level. Also, if I leave it switched to manual, the bags seem to stay inflated, but in auto, they will deflate, some more than others, overnight.

Newell270,

I don't understand the auto/travel terminology. I do not see that label on your dash. But you have consistently referred to the switch as the auto/level switch. Is there an auto/level switch that is not shown in any of your pictures?

If you are using auto/level to refer to the Leveling mode switch, the name you have chosen is the source of misunderstanding on how the switch works. This is what Michael is trying to say. In travel mode, the switch will activate the travel solenoids in the six pack when the ignition is on. In Level mode it will allow the individual up/down switches to operate.

I also don't understand. Does the level mode switch have two positions or three. The underneath shows it as a three position switch electrically.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

[attachment=4251]I have the manual leveling system. Dash switch picture attached. the "leveling" toggle simply toggles between travel and leveling modes. the "master" switch is a three position switch - serving as a master air dump or raise once you are toggled into leveling mode.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

(11-04-2016, 05:56 AM)Richard Wrote:  Newell270,

I don't understand the auto/travel terminology. I do not see that label on your dash. But you have consistently referred to the switch as the auto/level switch. Is there an auto/level switch that is not shown in any of your pictures?

If you are using auto/level to refer to the Leveling mode switch, the name you have chosen is the source of misunderstanding on how the switch works. This is what Michael is trying to say. In travel mode, the switch will activate the travel solenoids in the six pack when the ignition is on. In Level mode it will allow the individual up/down switches to operate.

I also don't understand. Does the level mode switch have two positions or three. The underneath shows it as a three position switch electrically.
I do apologize for any confusion. When the PO told me that the switch automatically leveled the coach, I made the assumption that it automatically leveled the coach like previous coaches, along with having a HWH operators manual in the binder of owner info and manuals. So I just had it in my head it was a manual/auto switch. Now that I have some clarity, I can understand my confusion and can probably resolve the problem without creating another one that doesn't exist.

Regarding the 'leveling mode switch', it's either up or down, so I'll assume two position. From the 6 connectors on the back, the four corner connectors send power four separate ways, but top or bottom send power out together.  
The center connectors are separate incoming power for left or right. 
At the moment the center right has a continuous 12v, but there is no power connecting the center left: is that  for an ignition on power source? 
Also, the left top and bottom wires have no incoming power source, but run to the front and rear 6 packs. So seeing how they are connected so that only the top or bottom would get power if available, is that correct?  

Thanks again; it's a learning curve.

Ok, thanks for clearing up the function and name of the switch. I could be dead wrong, but I don't think your understanding of how that switch works electrically is exactly correct. The center terminal is connected to the end terminal on the same side in the opposite direction of the toggle. Another way of saying that is that if you looked at the switch from the side, and the toggle were in the up position, then the center terminal would be electrically connected to the bottom terminal on THAT side. I don't thing that the right and left side of the switch are electrically connected. But I could be dead wrong on that, because I don't understand why the blue wire and white/ black wire are connected to the other side of the switch because as it is wired they do nothing.

Let's do some detective work before we try to finish the schematic. Do me a favor and check the continuity, with the ohm function of a voltmeter, the rear terminals of the Level switch.

This conversation and confusion has my curiosity up. The post started with you wanting help with the schematics. Would you mind stating why? Is it the system did not work as you thought it should? You suspect some wiring changes have been made? Just plain curiosity on your part? Do you have an unconnected wire that you are trying to figure out where it goes? Sorry to be so nosey, but I am trying to figure out what we are trying to fix.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Please take a second look. I have made a change to the wiring colors.

Orange/black is obviously 12+, Orange/white is LR up.

Maybe it would help if we started in a different place. Let's start with a fundamental understanding of how the leveling system works and how it is controlled from your dash.

When the coach is in Travel, there are three pneumatic valves, called the height control valves, that either add or release air from the air bags depending upon how far the axle is from the frame. There is one each above the drive tires, right and left. And there is one in the center of the coach above the front axle. As long as you have air supply those valves will maintain a certain distance between the tires and the coach. The air from the three HCVs (height control valves) has to pass through the six pack to get to the air bags. There are two valves or solenoids on the six pack that have to open for the air to get from the HCV to the air bag. Those solenoids should be energized anytime the ignition is on, and the coach is in Travel mode.

When you are parked and you want to level the coach, the Leveling toggle is moved to Level. First of all the travel solenoids are closed, so that takes the HCV out of the pneumatic loop. There are four additional solenoids on the six pack. Left up, left down, right up, and right down. There is also supply air to the six pack. When one of the up toggle switches is activated it opens the up solenoid for that side and allows supply air to flow into the air bag. When one of the down toggle switches is activated, the down solenoid opens and air is exhausted from the air bag.

The key to understanding the switches and the logic of the six pack is that the HCV must be isolated from the air bags before any leveling can occur. If it were not, as soon as the coach corner was raised or lowered, the HCV would attempt to bring it back to the set distance between the axle and the coach body. That means that the coach can never be in both Travel mode and Level mode at the same time.

If you have the time you might want to read the first section of this manual to get a much better explanation of this system.
http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20635.pdf
Keeping in mind that you have manual switches instead of the auto control panel.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(11-04-2016, 11:54 AM)Richard Wrote:  Ok, thanks for clearing up the function and name of the switch. I could be dead wrong, but I don't think your understanding of how that switch works electrically is exactly correct.  The center terminal is connected to the end terminal on the same side in the opposite direction of the toggle. Another way of saying that is that if you looked at the switch from the side, and the toggle were in the up position, then the center terminal would be electrically connected to the bottom terminal on THAT side. I don't thing that the right and left side of the switch are electrically connected. But I could be dead wrong on that, because I don't understand why the blue wire and white/ black wire are connected to the other side of the switch because as it is wired they do nothing.

Let's do some detective work before we try to finish the schematic. Do me a favor and check the continuity, with the ohm function of a voltmeter, the rear terminals of the Level switch.

This conversation and confusion has my curiosity up. The post started with you wanting help with the schematics. Would you mind stating why? Is it the system did not work as you thought it should? You suspect some wiring changes have been made? Just plain curiosity on your part? Do you have an unconnected wire that you are trying to figure out where it goes? Sorry to be so nosey, but I am trying to figure out what we are trying to fix.

I originally wanted the schematics to understand what wires went where after I noticed the Leveling mode switch had two red wires connected to the same terminal.  One red wire connects to the diode bundle and the other feeds back to the fuse panel as an ignition on power source.  
You are correct, the left and right are not connected, but if both center terminals have power, both top or bottom terminals will too. 
That brings me to the blue wire and black/white wire question about if they are connected correctly and if the red wire  from the fuse panel, currently piggybacked with the other red wire, should be moved and connected to the empty center terminal?
Now that I'm out of the mindset this is automatic, I shouldn't be as confused going forward.