You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tag axle functions Dual 6 pack

Richard & Steve did such a great job explaining the rear axles air suspension plumbing, I felt compelled to understand my older setup.
I've done a chart of all the different setting & switch positions to understand what activates what.

I can't seem to be able to paste or attach a copy but I'm sure I will figure it out.

Two conditions surprised me.
1. To dump the tag axle, the ignition switch on & leveling switch must be in the up position. If the leveling switch is in the off position, the travel valves are activated & the whole system will empty through the exhaust valves.

2. The individual rear L/R U/D switches will raise the drive & tag side when activated. When in the down position, only the drive is lowered & the tag gets a lot of weight!

To my knowledge my wiring is original.

My original plan was to change my plumbing to the later style, but Richard suggested differently. He is correct.

My question now is is there any reason for (2)travel solonoids on the tag 6 pack. Air to the 6 pack is controlled by a solonoid operated by the same circuit that operates the tag travel solonoids. If those 2 travel solonoids were blocked to a normally open condition, no functionally would change! To go one step further, I believe a single exhaust solonoid could handle the tag assy, as currently both solonoids are tied together electrically.

Basically I see the tag supply pressure regulator, a 3 way dump valve & then split into to 2 3way raise valves supplied by air from before the regulator, & then on to the air bags. 3 solonoids in total <$50; and have 6 spare solonoids!

Sure appreciate any and all input.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

that will work, however you will lose any side to side leveling function contribution from the tags

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
Currently I have no side to side tag axle control with the exhaust, so I would not be loosing anything. If in fact I used 2 exhaust valves & wired them to the drive EXHAUST solonoids it would work.
would need to put diodes on the wires going to the tag switch, I think.
I will have TWO raise valves on the tag so I will retain the side to side control.

I added ? 2 pictures, one is my proposed plumbing for the tag & the second is switch positions & their various functions.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

What do the X s mean on your diagram? That the solenoid is energized or closed ?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-02-2012, 06:10 PM)Richard Wrote:  What do the X s mean on your diagram? That the solenoid is energized or closed ?

X indicates energized

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II