You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Jake Brake

All,
How quickly should it take for the Jake Brake to engage after removing foot from the accelerator? Test drove an 07 and liked the ride, drive, and handling. Did not have to make in any steering adjustments. This was a pleasure to drive. The Jake Brake was turned on and set to high, but it seemed that it took several seconds before it would engage. Is this normal? I had to use the regular brakes to slow down. Thanks for any and all input.

Reese

(01-01-2017, 04:12 PM)rcantrell52 Wrote:  All,
How quickly should it take for the Jake Brake to engage after removing foot from the accelerator? Test drove an 07 and liked the ride, drive, and handling. Did not have to make in any steering adjustments. This was a pleasure to drive. The Jake Brake was turned on and set to high, but it seemed that it took several seconds before it would engage. Is this normal? I had to use the regular brakes to slow down. Thanks for any and all input.

Reese

Mine engages immediately but I feel very little effect at low rpm. As engine shifts down and rpm rises,
you will feel [and especially in my coach with a resonator], hear it. But I have very little braking effect at 
low engine rpm.  My jake will slow me down in town a bit, but always have to use the regular brakes.
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Jim,
Thanks for your reply. Low rpms is probably what was happening during the drive. The drive was on a loop with speed limit of 65 and traffic. I was more concern with traffic and how the Newell drove then with the rpm's.

Reese

(01-01-2017, 06:10 PM)rcantrell52 Wrote:  Jim,
Thanks for your reply. Low rpms is probably what was happening during the drive. The drive was on a loop with speed limit of 65 and traffic. I was more concern with traffic and how the Newell drove then with the rpm's.

Reese

I am thinking the 10 speed shifts at fairly low rpm. Your biggest benefit will be maintaining a speed
coming down a hill. You normally shift down to a gear where your desired speed is meet, and rpm is 
+1500. Here the jake should hold you with only occasional use of your service brakes.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.

What engine does it have.
That will make a difference

Julius & Charlene
2001 Newell #576

(01-01-2017, 08:34 PM)Pardue101 Wrote:  What engine does it have.
That will make a difference

Michael would know for sure, but will guess a C-15 with a 10 speed.

A Cat can be set up that way.
If that is a concern get it to a Cat dealer and let them look to see how it is programmed.
I had a Cat that the jakes did not start till you taped the brakes.

Julius & Charlene
2001 Newell #576

Julius and Jim,
This 07 Newell had the CAT 625 BHP with the 12 speed transmission. At 60 mph the transmission was in 12th gear. The transmission starts in 3rd gear. Thanks for your comments.

Reese

Julius and Jim,
Went to the dealer website and looked again at the ad. The dealer states that the engine is a CAT C-15 with 625 BHP. Also, the ad shows the ZF Astronomic 10 speed transmission. On the panel it showed 12. Thanks

Reese