You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1984 coach remove driver control panel

Remove driver , (dash) control panel?

Looking for someone who has had the dash control panel out on an 84 era coach

I am replacing the old 50 amp manual  transfer switch with a new auto transfer switch. The original one was working fine, but had been repaired many times over the years, leaving  a nest of wires inside it that made me uncomfortable.

I now have no use for the selector switch in the dash for shore/ generator, or the associated shore power indicating light. I removed the 10 screws on the drivers control panel, thinking there would be long enough  leads on the back of  it to gain access . I am not able to lift the panel up more than an inch or two, and don't want to break or  unplug something. Am I missing something here? I am assuming that the factory put it together and then screwed it in, meaning there should be at  last a foot of extra length in the wires? 

The solution for yesterday was to put it back together and save it for another day   Huh

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Am I the only one crazy enough to open up the dash " can of worms"?

I will try again Saturday.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Many of us have been in there. I can't help cause my dash is way different than yours.

Do you have any access from the top? Access hatches?

Can you post a few pics of the dash and the top of the dash?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Are you talking about the dashboard? Or the overhead cabinet? On my '93 there was a compartment door for the stereo, vcr, etc. in the overhead. There was a panel to the left that would unscrew to allow access to the back of that area. Look around, it's common for Newell to have access some way.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The 84 dashboard is what I am working on. It it curved, and I am having interference trying to gain access. I can only lift it out about 2 inches. I don't know if there are devices catching on the way out , or if I have a cable or wire lead causing the issue. I am going to try to take a look with mirrors this weekend. While I have it open, I wold like to check the generator hour meter to see if it is getting power , as it does not function.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

The 77 coach I had with the flat dash required workin from below, contortion skills and blood letting required.

I'm guessing the factory built the dash with wires attached, put it in place and then attached the far ends of wires, not always leaving enough slack to move the panel much. This and some plumbing arrangements were the source of unconscionable profanity on my part.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks Jon. Time for the chainsaw......

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

On coach 390 that I owned, the best way to access the wiring under the dashwas to remove the center console. Then lying on my back I could get to most of the wiring that fed the gauges. Otherwise it was the bloodletting exercise Jon described. After a couple of times I could get the console out in ten minutes. The first time took longer to find the hidden screws.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hey Guy, a sawzall works better....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Might be a good time to consider lengthening the wires. . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740