You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tire Monitoring System, now a believer

For years I thought tire monitoring systems were not really a necessity if one paid close attention to your tires. I always checked the tires at each stop for excessive temps, and once a week or so, I would check all the pressures. Never did I find a tire low on pressure.

However, last year I lost a drive tire while on the road which got me to wondering if a TPMS would have alerted me before all the drama.
My buddy Ron Skeen had tried to convince me of the benefit of a system he uses  EEZRV. So while at Bella Terra, I installed one. Then Tom came in with his tag tire all askew, and I felt even better about the purchase.

Two days ago I notice one of the tags a couple of lbs lower than I remembered based on the readout on the 
TPMS. I aired it back up just for grins and drove all day with no problems. This morning that tire was down 10 lbs. So off to a tire shop to find a nail right at the edge of the tire. Something I did not find acceptable to patch. 

The point is that I doubt I would have noticed the tire being down. It didn't look down this morning on visual. I don't know if it would have been hot at the first stop of the day or not. What I do know is I had early warning to do something about it at a safe and leisurely place instead of on the side of the road. 

I wasn't sure of the benefit before know, but I think I paid for the system today, if nothing else in lack of drama. 

Thanks Ron for nudging me to install the system.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Happy your and your bride are safe! We are all carrying precious people, pets, etc. and extra safety is important. How difficult was the install?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

i bought the same system and had it shipped to ruidoso. we are leaving in the morning with new TPMS installed

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I may have mentioned this on the forum previously, but my TPMS ( monitoring the toad as well ) paid off when I noticed unusually high temps on the toad. My auxiliary braking system on the toad was incorrectly installed and the brakes were dragging. Saved me at least a brake job and maybe prevented a fire.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

i ran the system for the first time today. you have to have the repeater. i do and it stopped working for a little while and 8 of the 12 sensors dropped out. it was a loose connection.

the temp and pressure on my drivers side front on my honda was hotter by ten degrees than the rest. and a couple pounds higher. my coach exhaust is on that side only a few feet from that tire....

tom

(06-11-2017, 03:26 PM)encantotom Wrote:  i ran the system for the first time today.   you have to have the repeater.  i do and it stopped working for a little while and 8 of the 12 sensors dropped out.  it was a loose connection.  

the temp and pressure on my drivers side front on my honda was hotter by ten degrees than the rest.  and a couple pounds higher.   my coach exhaust is on that side only a few feet from that tire....

tom
Tom, where did you mount the repeater and get power from?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

i have a rear bath. there is a closet all the way across the back of the bathroom. on the right hand (drivers side) wall in the closet is the power panel. i mounted the repeater on the back carpeted wall of the closet and drilled a hole in the carpeted wall that houses the power panel and used a spare fuse slot there.

richard did the same thing for his

tom