You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Genset exh slip joint

steve, i will ask laura if we can send willy when we are done. he likes you.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Willy would be perfect! All small kids like to paint with a brush. I'm thinking Laura my be the snag in the plan......................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Whenever two pipes slide into each other some sort of lubrication must be required. in as much as these pipes are subject to increased heat levels, they need a substance such as "never-seize". The application on most of the Newels i have worked on (1986 to 2006) requires the application at the point of insertion either under the coach or with the extension of an a applicator. I have found that for a one man procedure the use of a rag taped to the end of a pole such as a broom slathered with "never seize" works very well. You can put air on the air springs and lift the coach up (blocking to protect the applicator person) and implement a two person procedure. it is a tedious project but necessary.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

thanks for the tips. good ideas from an expert....good stuff

steve, when we were out to lunch with chester on wednesday i asked laura about willy coming out to your place to crawl in the genny compartment to put the antisieze on. it wasnt a firm no, but i think you could push her over the edge if you paid for her and her family to come out there to do it.

she kinda likes you guys alot....

tom

Hmmm, with 15 of us going it shouldn't be too much if we all chipped in.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

After the snow shower today I'd be more inclined to drive to Surprise!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

come on down....

tom

The more I've thought about it the more I like Genman's idea of using a rag on a stick to apply the anti-seize. I think that will work better than the brush on a stick I've been using.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

To my total surprise the spray anti-seize worked great! I do not have the 110V air compressor mounted in the genset hush box so it made access to the left side of the genset open. I was able to reach quite a way back. The can came with a short straw that I used. I was able to spray a coating on three sides--top, right(as you look at it) and bottom all the way back to the rear of the hush box without making a mess. I had to use a brush to finish the left side(as you look at it) of the exhaust pipe. Here is a link to the product I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81464-Ant...B000HBNVWQ

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(01-27-2013, 04:05 PM)rheavn Wrote:  To my total surprise the spray anti-seize worked great! I do not have the 110V air compressor mounted in the genset hush box so it made access to the left side of the genset open. I was able to reach quite a way back. The can came with a short straw that I used. I was able to spray a coating on three sides--top, right(as you look at it) and bottom all the way back to the rear of the hush box without making a mess. I had to use a brush to finish the left side(as you look at it) of the exhaust pipe. Here is a link to the product I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81464-Ant...B000HBNVWQ

The spray sounds wonderful, too bad a longer straw isn't readily available as that would be more convenient! It's always a messy job it seems after you think you've washed it all off you find more on your ear or nose!!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567