You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Gas spring tool

I did everything but the overhead doors inside. I'm going to modify it so it is more adjustable for length. My 92 year old dad made them both. I showed him the pic of Newell's tool and he went to his shop and built it. The next day he said he couldn't sleep because he figured another way to do it and brought me the longer one. He made jumper cables before they came out and has been driving since he was 8 in 1928. He invented another tool that I'm going to bring a copy of to everyone in Spearfish! You can check your brake lights by yourself.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Steve,
Can you bring the compression tool to the rally? I'd like to see it in person. I've been thinking of making a tool for the engine door gas springs.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Yes sir.
Will do.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Steve Bare, very nice job on this tool

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thanks Genman. I hope you find it useful when needed.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I'm curious if I can modify a pipe clamp to do the job on the engine cover struts.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,
I looked at that option and the answer is yes you can! The problem I had with a non modified pipe clamp is that the gas spring could/would slip out of the jaws. When you make yours, make it so the spring cannot slip out of the top or bottom jaw. It is an easy fabrication.

SAFETY TIP: The engine cover is very heavy without the help of the gas springs! I could not lift it up by myself. Be sure to prop it up SECURELY before you start disconnecting the gas springs.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

we changed the gas struts on our engine bay door the hard way. with a pair of vice grips. it worked but it wasnt particularly easy or pretty.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I used a 2" wide ratchet strap which allowed the ends of the spring the force into the webbing kind of making a pocket.but i was still nervous at having so much energy waiting to jump out and smack me in the jaw!!
Be very careful, as Steve says the door is very heavy and the springs are strong.

Gordon

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Steve, thanks for the warning. I plan to modify the pipe clamp by partially drilling holes in each end to fit the ends of the gas springs. When done, I will post a picture and bring it to South Dakota.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica