You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Radiator fan question

(02-02-2013, 09:39 AM)LynnJeff Wrote:  Dave

Lynn and I found a "only used on Sundays" kind of bus after looking for two years

We have spent the last two years putting it in the shape we wanted

I can only reiterate what the rest have said

You cannot begin to believe/understand how much you are going to end up fixing/repairing with a bus bought from someone you do not know

I would offer like the rest, that you look at Toms bus and see if there is anyway to do a deal with him

Even if you have to give him payments and wash his new bus for a yearSmile

The ability to step in to that bus where he has done all the tinkering/repairs/updates will save you a ton of money and frustration (full disclosure; I have never met Tom or seen the bus but can tell from his posts and the esteem he is held in by others on Newell Gurus that what you buy will be exactly as represented)

I do know Tom, and have seen in person the work he has put into it, and have spent time traveling with he and Darlene for a thousand miles, or so, and I can attest to what Jeff has written. His asking price may seem on the high side to some....I think it's on the low side.....he spent a lot of hours, and money fixing other people's neglect, and if you spent any money on repairs other than for general service the first 5 years I would be shocked.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Cheap is usually expensive. A known commodity would be very valuable.
Not sure what Tom is asking but I would not consider anything under $60K for our '82 38' Classic and it is only 8' Wide.
Good Luck

PS our '82 is not for sale anyway so that number is only for comparison.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

In March of 2008 we happily paid $39,900 for our 1982 Newell, which, at the time was "under" the market value. All evidence pointed to a coach taken care of, and maintained to high standards. As a result we have spent most of our money on periodic maintenance, and not big ticket stuff. If you find a really good deal be sure to do your due diligence...have all the fluids tested, check date codes on the tires, check brakes, check under the engine/ransmission for puddles of oil on the ground. So often a "good deal" turns into a money pit. Now if you go into a coach knowing it will take a pile of money to bring her back, and you paid less than 5 figures for her, have a lot of mechanical know how, and skill, then that could turn out to be a good deal in the end.....I'm just sayin'

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks for all the good advice here. I asked the original question because I had never heard of a radiator fan disintegrating before, and I wondered. I have heard of fiberglass aircraft props failing. I'm also familiar with the idea of metal fatigue, so I wondered what I might find in a bus.

As I said on another thread, the mpg is gone and we are seriously looking. We're NOT looking for a project coach, but we do understand that any coach will require some money, if only different decorations to satisfy Jo Ann. We have time on our side now, so we can afford to be picky. As someone said on the other thread, "champaign taste on a tap water budget." We'll see what we find over the next year or so.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

David, the potential of a fan disaster is the least of your problems when considering a coach in the price range you are quoting. I suggest you go back and look at the posts on this forum related to your search, look at the photos posted on Tom's 1990, and reconsider. While I do not have a horse in this race, many years of owning motor homes leads me to believe you are going to have a hard time finding a perfectly maintained top end coach for the price. However, I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica