You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

generator water cooled exhaust manifold

Gentlemen,
I have an 86 Perkins powering my generator and have a couple of questions. 

Does anyone have a Perkins connection for parts. I am needing a water cooled exhaust manifold. I have found a couple used ones on E-Bay and one on a Shipwreck Salvage website. There is also a Bowman heat exchanger out there they say is an upgrade. 

Also I am pondering the usefulness of the water cool exhaust manifold. Wouldn't the purpose of the exhaust heating the coolant be the same principal as a block heater? I get the water cooled exhaust manifold in a marine application where you are heating the cooler/cold fresh or salt water to keep the engine coolant temp at an efficient operating temperature, but I would think under normal operating conditions from April thru October keeping the temp between 150 and 190 wouldn't be a problem.  
I haven't had the coach out during the winter months nor do I plan on doing so. So couldn't I eliminate the water cooled exhaust manifold and use a regular exhaust manifold and wrap it, which would help cut down on extra heat in the generator compartment. Am I missing something........

Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

James

Fishinator, 
James & Dr. Jeanie 
1987-8V92 Coach#132

Try PC Industries , 
Powerlinecomponents.com. for Perkins parts .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Will do. Thanks

Fishinator, 
James & Dr. Jeanie 
1987-8V92 Coach#132

The Perkins in my ‘78 Newell didn’t have a water cooled exhaust manifold. Never had a problem with that.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

“ Wouldn't the purpose of the exhaust heating the coolant be the same principal as a block heater? “
I’m not an expert at all configurations people can come up with but, in my experience, water cooled manifolds serve to diminish heat gain in the engine compartment.  I have never seen one used for block heating.  I would think the purpose was to keep the exhaust heat down but if you decide to bypass then a blanket of high temp material could do the same job. Just keep in mind the exhaust gas temperatures can reach 900 degrees or more depending on load.   If there is enough air flow in your compartment, you can bypass insulation.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567