You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Compressor Check Valve Problem

My compressor check valve is engaging after a short time (minute or less).  The coach is in the shop and our mechanic is troubleshooting but has not found the cause as of yet.  Are there any recurrent issues that would cause the compressor to kick off prematurely that you are aware of?

Paul Norris
ex1954 Piper Tri-Pacer N8003C
ex2012 Mercedes 350SLK
ex2015 Surveyor 201 RBS
ex1966 Cherokee 235 N38DD
Now 1996 Newell 420
one toy at a time

if the compressor is just shutting off before reaching full pressure of your pressure switch, then i would first look at the well pump pressure switch that is right at the compressor. it is also possible the compressor itself is going out.

it is a simple system, a pressure switch that turns it on and off with a 20 psi delta and the compressor.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

On my 1993 and 1998 the pressure switch was in the right front compartment where the air blower for the generator is.  It could be in a couple places.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Ask the technician to dead head the compressor before the check valve. The assumption that the check valve is closing prematurely doesn’t sound right. First, the closure direction of the check valve is opposite the flow of the air, and second the normal check valve failure is that they fail to close.

Dead heading the compressor will isolate the problem to the compressor or the pressure switch. If the pressure switch is observed during a cycle, then it is easy to tell with the cover off, if the switch opens.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Out of curiosity, I have a Norgren regulator tee'd off at the pressure switch that is open to atmosphere.   What is the function of that regulator?

Thanks
Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Steve,
The Norgren valve is a over pressure release.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

That makes sense....so is it set to a release pressure just above the pressure switch cut out....am I thinking correctly on this?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Paul, 
Are you talking about your engine compressor or the 120v compressor?

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Steve I think it is set much higher than that,, or else it would release when the engine compressor is running.

I found out the hard way that a Thomas compressor is capable of over 150 psi, enough to blow out an air bag. The HWH system has a signal to a second electrical box controlling the aux pump. That signal bypasses the pressure switches, hence the need for some sort of pressure protection.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Steve,
My pressure release valve is set to release above 120 psi. If you search the Norgren valve part number you can review the specs of your valve.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531