You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

At the factory this week

We were at the Newell factory in Miami Monday through Thursday. They got our slide out air bag replaced along with a few other items. Work went well but very hands off experience. The only area you are allowed in is the customer lounge. Disappointing for our first time there. We will have to go back at a later time after this corona crap is over. That will probably be another multi thousand $$$ check then too. Lol.

Rick Edgell
1998 Newell 45ft 2 Slide #467

a reminder to those in the west. i have a slide cart and if you are willing to work on it, can help you change it for the cost of fellowship

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I'm certainly thinking of your offer! I know the pass side rear slide has been worked on multiple times. Going thru the paperwork I found that this particular slide had been pulled at least three times at the factory. If I'm not mistaken it was pulled 3 times in In four years

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

I would be surprised if you didn’t have Valid slides. If so, you do not need the slide cart to replace the seal.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

the slide cart is only used for flat floor hwh hydraulic slides.

tom

Really?
Wow I figured they would need to come out. I need more information, thankfully I don't need seals at this time but the room floor is not totally flat and needs to be adjusted. Pass slide not very smooth even though the slide bearing rails were changed a few years ago.

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

Well I have Valid slides and I may need to get educated on what to do with a failing seal...

1.25” long on forward vertical of curb side rear slide...

I reduced seal pressure to 10 psi.

Can these things be patched to slow the failure?

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

jeff,

i would be very surprised if you could do a patch that holds. on top of that, you would need to have access to the seal when it is not inflated to do a patch.

on the other hand, what do you have to lose?

on the valid slides, do they come in or have to go out like the hwh ones that are flat floor?

tom

That’s what I need to determine. I’m going to call Newell to discuss. After reading last night I recalled some of the details about how a seal is glued in.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Jeff,

I have had all my seals replaced (some multiple times) and the problem that you show in your pictures is common. It is UV sun damage. If you look at other slides you will see the beginnings of the same problem. (Sometimes it occurs on the top of the slide) It is not a defect or injury...rather it is the result of sun and age.

Unfortunately, that seam split is the sign that your seals have reached the end of their useful life.

The bad news is that the slide seals for valid slides are only available from Newell...but they will happily sell you one for $$$$. As far as I know the only two places that you can get a seal replaced is at Newell (close to you) or the guy in Zephyr Hills Florida.

Over extending the slide to access the seal is not an overly complicated process but does require some custom manufactured "stops" that keep the room from moving too far.

My suggestion would be to have Newell replace this seal and observe the process. If you do that and look at the bill....the seal itself will be a big chunk of the cost.

For what it is worth.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama