You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

DIY Changing Oil

I have been taking my coach to places and letting them change my oil at about $400 or so. 
Since I have a nice enclosed building I'm thinking of changing my own oil.  What do you guys use to drain and transport the old oil? 
I have to look in my manual but I think I need about 13 gallons of oil.  I know to check the air tanks.  Rear end/transmission? What else? 
Any suggestions welcome! Yes, I understand about chocking up the coach and will definitely be SAFE under there! This is all if I get brave enough to crawl under there...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Do you have a Fumoto or similar oil change valve? If not get one before your first oil change, one for engine and generator. Makes it real easy to pour old oil into empty oil jugs or 5 gallon buckets or gas cans for disposal.
Probably best to get the low profile one if it's available.
https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/?utm...ff8bddf6be

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

First, don't put 13 gallons of oil in the S60 based on what you remember. Some hold 32 qts, some 36, and some 40 depending upon the oil pan. So start with 32 and look at the dipstick.

Do prefill the oil filters as much as possible. That prevents the bearings from starving too much on startup after an oil change.

It's hard to find a container that is low enough to slide under the oil pan and big enough to hold 10 gallons of nasty oil. That's why Forest suggested the Fumato shut off. You can fill a smaller container and shut off the oil quickly.

You have to transport 10 gallons of the nasty mess to a recycling center or auto parts place. Prepare to splash some of it on you when you pour it into their vat.

Steve Bare @"rheavn" has a neat trick of puncturing the oil filters and letting them drain before removing. I think he also puts a trash bag around the used filter.

Prepare to make a mess the first time, and used diesel engine oil is NASTY. The cheapest you will find Rotella is about 130 for ten gallons. And you need two oil filters at around 25 each. Now you need an oil filter wrench, a drain pan, and a gallon of hand cleaner. Don't plan on wearing the clothes you are wearing to a formal .

It will be tight under there even with the coach all the way up.

So, if you are changing the oil at around 10k miles how often do you need to change it?

If you haven't picked up on this, I am trying to talk you out of DIY.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

this tool is a must!

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=3860

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I have used a 12" tall section I cut off the end of a 55 gallon oil drum. The last time I hired a local mobile mechanic that the farmers in my area use. He came to my shop and performed several maintenance items under my Newell for a reasonable price. I disposed of the old oil etc.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks guys! If I choose not to change the oil myself where would you recommend I take it? I have been taking it to a SpeedCo but don't really trust them after talking to the guy down here. Do you bring your own oil and filters? BTW, this is the first oil change after the engine work was done about a year ago now with about 3000 miles on it. I sent an oil sample in but have not heard from them... maybe it got lost in USPS priority mail... will call tomorrow to see.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I opted for the DIY oil change route for three reasons.  I know the oil I bought went into the engine, I wanted to go with a bypass filter (http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4980) and finally my oil sample is only my oil with no other contaminates.  Richard is correct it is a real pain and can be messy but for the above reasons I am more comfortable with the results.

Speaking of oil samples I sent one in last August and USPO lost it!  Received the results February 8th of this year.  Not sure what is going on as an oil isample s not a haz shipment.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

My engine and trans samples were delayed getting to Blackstone last year by two weeks. Blackstone uses a USPS pre approved double safe container, but from time to time this happens when the containers are stopped in transit for inspection .

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59