You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

6 Pack Venting and mystery switch

Hello all,
As I try to get to know my new (to me) coach, I've run across a few things that aren't specifically addressed in the threads in this sub forum.

I have a mystery switch on the dash that when toggled, turns on a chime.  After more experimentation, I found that when energized, it also causes one of the 6-pack solenoids to vent from the manifold, drawing down all coach air.  While I have a little understanding of the manifold and 6 pack design, most people seem to only have 1 where I have 2 in the rear.  The mystery switch causes the lower left solenoid on the lower 6-pack to vent when the ignition is on.  Not knowing what the switch did, I disconnected the associated chime and turned it on.  It eventually vented all the air and nearly left me stuck.  Luckily, I remembered that I changed something and flipped the switch back off and the coach started to build air again. Crisis of the moment avoided.

My hope is that the mystery switch is the Tag Dump and everything is working as it should, however, I don't think that's the case.  On that topic, I would like to add a tag dump switch, if there isn't one already there. (maybe another mystery switch somewhere)

The top manifold also has the vent hole that also appears to be used, but I am not sure what causes it to function.

I can also see in that photo that I think I need a new air filter.

Thanks,
Chris
1990 Newell #234

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

yes, the second six pack is for your tag. they stopped doing a second six pack for the tag not long after 90.

as for your chiming and venting, i am not sure. others will have to weigh in on that. if it was venting, it should not have drawn down your supply air if it was dumping the tag.....

what are all those pvc fittings and rubber hoses for by the six pack? does it have misting for the radiator?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I think the PVCs are for the Primus, but I'll have to investigate that some more, too. The chime only sounds when the switch is on, which is when the manifold is venting. I agree, if it was dumping the tag, it shouldn't take down everything.

I have the 2 six packs in the rear of my 1992. There is a toggle switch next to the HWH leveling control that dumps the tag pressure. It is marked tag on mine. It does set off a chime that continues to remind you the tag is dumped. I would not recommend using it unless you temporarily need additional weight on the drive axle as it is very slow acting and doesn't seem to make that much difference during even sharp turns at low speeds. The tag six pack will certainly vent when the tag switch is activated. You can hear the venting from the driver's seat.

Since I rarely use my tag dump switch, I forget what happens to the air pressure but everything you have described sounds consistent with the tag dump.

I don't know if you have the original manual for your Newell. If not, I have mine available at http://www.newellowner.com/wp-content/up...al1992.pdf

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

IIRC doesn't your coach also have leveling jacks?
If so maybe it is designed so that when using the jacks to level it allows you to dump all of the air so that you can be more stable?
Does the chime quit once you turn off the ignition?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thank you. I did read your manual and since my switch wasn't labeled, I wasn't sure.

I am still trying to figure out why they thought it was a good idea to let you remotely dump the waste tank while driving down the road.

Yes, it has the HWH jacks and air leveling. Yes, power is removed when the ignition is turned off. HWH's manual does not recommend dumping all the air - it has it's own controller to dump the amount of air that it wants.

I just found another post that outlines the functions a little better...from 2012.
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=323

agreed on the waste tank. in the early 2000's, the dave matthews band bus driver decided to dump his tank while going over a grated bridge in chicago. ends up there was a party barge/boat directly under it and 800lbs of goo dumped directly on them. he got fired, fined, probation and community service

tom

Our 1992 looks very similar. The PVC is for the Primus system.

My 1993 has a constant chime when the tag axle unloader switch is thrown. I rarely use it. The waste valve air switch can be employed while stationary and hooked up to sewer. It is better to let the tank fill and dump all at once. The switch allows dumping without having to go outside!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

dean, he is talking i believe about the curbside dump

tom