You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Charging Issues

Looking for some trouble shooting advice. Drove our coach a few miles and returned home and parked it in the driveway to wash it. While washing it I heard an alarm inside (This coach has (2) Prosine 3.0 inverters) I found one with a 195 code on the display and the other saying low batteries. I tried to start it but the batteries were to low,
so I plugged it in and it started right up. I moved it behind our gate and plugged in for the night and checked on it in the morning. I figured the batteries would be all charged up and ready to go. Nope... Batteries weren't charged. I reset the inverters plugged it back in and let it sit for awhile, still not, charging so I put it on a battery charger and checked on it hours later. One inverter started up then went back to code 195 the other said the battery was at 12.8 volts. It showed shore power was connected and was charging. I did notice that it said +0.0 on the display but normally when its charging, it has some volts to it depending on how drained the batteries are. I thought its on so it should be good, came out this morning batteries are dead and both inverters are shut down with solid red lights on them.
Any idea where to start? I haven't had any problems before with charging or the inverters.

Ron & Jennifer Ward
2003 Newell Show Coach #643 (Racer Bus) Triple Slide, DD 60
Visalia, CA

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4024

Have you measured the voltage at the batteries with a voltmeter? Do you have the batteries merged?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The merge switch is in the off position. this coach has (2) 3000 watt inverters. Would they both be set up to charge the batteries? Or could the one that has the 195 code do the charging and the one that is still working only invert?

Ron & Jennifer Ward
Visalia, CA

I just found something strange. Some of the 120V accessories (air compressor, water pump) were not working when its plugged in to 50A shore power. I left it plugged in and started up the generator now they're working. I shut off the generator and still plugged in to shore power and they still work... Could the transfer switch be going out?

Ron & Jennifer Ward
Visalia, CA

You will have to measure with a voltmeter to determine what is going on.

And to whether one or both of your inverters charge the batteries, no two Newells are alike. You will have to examine yours to know the answer.

Here is what is weird. You said you shut the coach off after a short drive, and it would not start because of weak battery. You said you then plugged it in, waited a bit, and it started. That does not compute IF the merge switch were OFF.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I misspoke. The merge switch was on that's why it wouldn't start. I plugged it in and was able to start it but since then it wont charge the batteries through the inverters.

Ron & Jennifer Ward
Visalia, CA

Does anyone have a part number and amperage of the Fuse on the ground wire at the house batteries and also the positive side to the inverter, they are different sizes.

Ron & Jennifer Ward
Visalia, CA

So you have ohm’d the fuses and know they are bad, or is this a shot in the dark?

What are the voltages of the batteries measured with a voltmeter?

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I was just trying to find out what they were, not replace them at this point.

What does my battery voltage have to do with the inverters charging them? As long as they are over 10 volts the inverters should turn on and begin to charge them. But since you are asking, they are all over 12 volts.

Ron & Jennifer Ward
Visalia, CA

(12-21-2022, 12:54 PM)Wardworks Wrote:  What does my battery voltage have to do with the inverters charging them? As long as they are over 10 volts the inverters should turn on and begin to charge them. But since you are asking, they are all over 12 volts.

Most inverters are inverters only, without a charging function. Some inverters, like what we have on Newell coach, have a dual function. Besides its inverter function (converting battery energy to 110/220V), it has a charging function too. 

However, such a dual-function inverter/charger usually works only if the battery voltage is at a specific voltage range. If the connected battery voltage is too low (no output) or too high (may go into a float mode, trickle a small current to maintain), it won't charge.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control