You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tiz the season for radiators

So you changed out the intercooler at the same time, was it leaking boost? I get the hebe gebes watching you film under the coach while on stands, I know its safe but still a little scary. What are the coolers on the bulkhead in front of the differential for?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

My experience, when I had my 96 was the hydraulic fluid cooler.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

(04-22-2023, 05:05 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  So you changed out the intercooler at the same time, was it leaking boost? I get the hebe gebes watching you film under the coach while on stands, I know its safe but still a little scary. What are the coolers on the bulkhead in front of the differential for?

Yep I get the trepidation at walking under 60,000#'s sitting on little stands. Think of the guy who first proposed that idea to his boss. "If we build wheel lifts we can pick up a bus and walk under it" "...trust me it'll work" 

I think that cooler is the transmission cooler.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

So We also repaired a broken shock mount at the front right corner. I forgot to get after pics sorry. 

The repair was simple enough. Removed the mount from the bus. Cleaned up the joint area then beveled the joint to allow for a full penetration weld. I used the All Aboard America Millermatic 35 (great machine BTY no made anymore, they are hard to kill highly recommend them) their shielding gas regulator had a blown diaphragm. Me being the goofy welder dude with a  welder on the bus, I pulled out my regulator and set to welding. I used the bolt to align the holes and tacked it. Then I tapped the bolt a few time to make sure the bolt would pass easily then added a tack on the opposite corner. Then started welding. I used a combination of vertical up and flat position. Once one side was welded I used a die grinder with a .045 thick cutting disc from the other side, grinding till I reached the bottom of the first weld. Rechecked the bolt alignment and welded the freshly ground side. Rinse and repeat the other two sides. 

In looking at the front suspension framing (the bits that the A arms attach to) shows how hand made these busses are. The materials used are less automotive looking and more structural steel looking in the materials used and the hand cut nature of the access holes. You can see this in the video near the 0.05 mark. 

That's all for now. 

Happy to be on the road again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.  

"I think that cooler is the transmission cooler." I don't think so. You should find the transmission cooler as part of the radiator and the cooler near the diff cools the hydraulic fluid based on a thermostat that turns those fans on and off.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Great pictures thanks! One of the best one is your buddy thats helping you.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

TJ,

Here is a bit of insight. The lower shock mounts have to be modified to fit the King shocks you have. I know this because I had to do it when I fitted the King shocks. The 2 inch diameter body hits the original mount. When the mod is done, it doesn’t leave very much meat there. I found out much later that the shocks are supposed to be mounted rod end down according to King. So all the removal of steel is unnecessary.

I broke one of my mounts in Great Falls Montana on Friday afternoon before 4th of July holiday. I ended up at HF to get one of the low buck inverter stick units and a hat. It stays on the coach now for emergency stuff. Once I got home both mounts were removed and a LOT more steel was added.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard I had the feeling they were down side up. I should have taken the time to investigate.

Welder on board is a must have for me.

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.  

TJ,
I couldnt agree more. I bought this one to have as an emergency welder.. but it works so well I use it for odd (small) jobs around the house as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCDT...UTF8&psc=1

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan