You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Name is Jeff, looking at Newell

Yes, Alcoa does not make a budd style rim that will carry the 365 tires. If you want to convert, the studs have to be replaced to fit the new wheel.

The change to 365 was made to increase the safety margin on the front. Many with earlier coaches either had Newell retrofit to handle 365 rubber, or did it themselves.

I think the coach you are looking at is solid side, no slide coach? If so, the front end weight will be less, and conversion away from the existing tire would probably not be worth the effort. But that is a guess on my part.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(06-25-2023, 02:53 PM)Richard Wrote:  Yes, Alcoa does not make a budd style rim that will carry the 365 tires. If you want to convert, the studs have to be replaced to fit the new wheel.

The change to 365 was made to increase the safety margin on the front. Many with earlier coaches either had Newell retrofit to handle 365 rubber, or did it themselves.

I think the coach you are looking at is solid side, no slide coach? If so, the front end weight will be less, and conversion away from the existing tire would probably not be worth the effort. But that is a guess on my part.

Thanks, yes this is a non slide coach. That is what I figured that the slide coaches were the ones that were getting a bit heavy. 
I definitely do not want a different size tire if I can help it, and especially the 365's that are only made by Michelin is definitely a deal breaker for me.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

So forgot to post this video tour of #490:
https://youtu.be/HlsPQ7JajnE

Do these years have leveling jacks or are they airbag leveling?

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Air bag leveling, no jacks. I know of two with jacks.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(07-04-2023, 04:15 PM)Richard Wrote:  Air bag leveling, no jacks. I know of two with jacks.

Thanks Richard, that is what I was thinking was the case.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

So coach #490 is officially ours! We closed on it today and we will be making the trip out hopefully next weekend to pick it up. 

Want to thank Richard and the others for all the guidance. 

FYI Richard, the front wheels and tires are 315/80-22.5s, so thank you especially for the heads up on that, I would have never thought they would put different size wheels and tires on the front. Very interesting.

I will post the blueprints we were able to get from Newell here when I get home later today.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Congratulations! Now you need to cancel the WL rally and make it to the newell rally! (JK!) I do not have slides on my coach so I didn't change the front tire/wheel combo. I also run Michelin's which is in my opinion, the best tire made for a heavy vehicle.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Sorry to be chiming in so late here, but welcome aboard, congrats on your new coach. 

Most of what I was going to share you have heard or will soon learn

You've obviously found the blueprints, I will add that CampNewell (@Newell) offers you full hookups and as the owner they will share the most of entire file they have on your coach. As you've been told, schematics and diagrams aren't really available past what you already have. That being said, this group is nothing short of amazing with the depth of knowledge experience and willingness to help

Ours has 315/80R22.5s on front and 11R24.5s, but you were forewarned 
We also have the nonexistent rear HWH hydraulic jacks, although I'm not sure if I'm one of the two Richard speaks of?

Ours had the same a/c as yours which has since been replaced with a minisplit

Looking forward to hearing more as you progress, especially curious to hear how the drive/ride compares to your prior rigs

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Congrats. We will have to get together this fall when we return to Florida.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(07-14-2023, 02:36 PM)BusNit Wrote:  Congratulations! Now you need to cancel the WL rally and make it to the newell rally! (JK!) I do not have slides on my coach so I didn't change the front tire/wheel combo. I also run Michelin's which is in my opinion, the best tire made for a heavy vehicle.

Thanks, yea I wish I could do both but I am a working stiff and cannot get away for that long from work. Its going to be a stretch to just get a couple days to get it.

(07-14-2023, 04:05 PM)Jonestead Wrote:  Sorry to be chiming in so late here, but welcome aboard, congrats on your new coach. 

Most of what I was going to share you have heard or will soon learn

You've obviously found the blueprints, I will add that CampNewell (@Newell) offers you full hookups and as the owner they will share the most of entire file they have on your coach. As you've been told, schematics and diagrams aren't really available past what you already have. That being said, this group is nothing short of amazing with the depth of knowledge experience and willingness to help

Ours has 315/80R22.5s on front and 11R24.5s, but you were forewarned 
We also have the nonexistent rear HWH hydraulic jacks, although I'm not sure if I'm one of the two Richard speaks of?

Ours had the same a/c as yours which has since been replaced with a minisplit

Looking forward to hearing more as you progress, especially curious to hear how the drive/ride compares to your prior rigs

Thanks for the info!

(07-14-2023, 06:53 PM)Richard Wrote:  Congrats. We will have to get together this fall when we return to Florida.

Yes, that would be nice, I can buy you dinner or something for all your help!

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490