You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Need help with solar for my house batteries PLEASE

So do you think setting a low limit of 11.8 volts before the genny comes on or should it be lower.  I have the max setting of 12.4 volts before the genny shuts itself off.

I'm trying to find a good balance so that I keep the batteries charged and allowing the genny to get worked. Normally only needs to run around 5 7 minutes to charge back up.

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

What kind of batteries? A few minutes to recharge doesn’t sound right to me.

so the AGS is in case the power fails? Or do you use it to charge the house batteries? I am confused.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard they are just regular 8d flooded batteries. So recently just sitting in my storage lot when my batteries get down to 11.8 volts for at least five minutes the genny will kick on and within four to five minutes it'll kick off.

I look on the inverter panel and it'll read somewhere between 14.5 or 12.5 volts

Forgot to say yes this is for house batteries only

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

11.8 is pretty low thats only about 20% of battery capacity you should avoid anything below 50% discharge so not to damage the batteries. I never let my batteries get below 12.2v.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack,

Thanks  so maybe a range of 12.2 then 12.8 or higher for recharging the batteries? I can reset the system.

I appreciate it all guys, I know I've got a lot to learn with this thing

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Ok, got that.

But something is wonky with the way you are stopping the generator via the AGS settings. There is NO way, that the batteries will charge in that short of a period. So what will happen if you are boondocking and using the AGS as a backup, that the generator will cycle on and off frequently.

How is the AGS programmed to shut the generator off ? I suspect, but may be entirely wrong, that the AGS is set to turn off based on voltage. That may not be the best way, since the voltage the AGS is seeing is actually the voltage coming from the charger. You may want to set it up based on time, SOC, return amps, or other parameters. I don’t know what inverter charger AGS combo you have so I can’t comment on specifics.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

12.2 is where I would have my generator kick on or an alarm going off to warn you, I hate to say this but more than likely if your batteries charge quickly then the damage is done and cell valve has been lost due to that low voltage.

Gravette, Arkansas

Here is an update to my issues,  First I'd like to thank those that assisted me in this!  I did reset the AGS to 12.2 .

Big shout out to Richard for all the dumb questions while he is on vacation!! 

What I was trying to achieve was to keep my house batteries charged up while sitting in my storage lot, there was only a 110v outlet so I used that and a thirty five amp charger/maintainer directly on the house batteries. My fear was there wasn't enough shore power available to do this. I was wrong.  I had purchased 6 new napa 8d for the house, thats what was there when I first purchased the coach although they were VERY tired to say the least!!!!

Richard kindly told me that I was going about the situation wrong LOL and I guess in the end I was.  I didn't really need solar I just needed the setup to be fully charged so that the inverter would maintain both house and start batteries.  It took about four days using the aforementioned charger/maintainer to get the batteries into "float" mode. Once this happened I set the inverter panel to shore power of 15 amps which is the breaker size. 

(Prior to the batteries being fully charged the 15 amp breaker would trip and once batteries started to deplete the generator would kick on) so  I cautiously plugged in the downsized shore cable to the 110 plug and so far the breaker hasn't tripped and the darn thing is doing what is was designed to do, take care of house and via the echo charger the starts. 

I have been watching continuously to see that all is working and so far it looks great and I know longer have to be nervous about killing a new set of house batteries.

Thanks again all!!

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Good news! Glad you got it figured out. A slow charge is what it needed.

Gravette, Arkansas