You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

18000 mini split in 596

I find it interesting that there's so many different variants of HVAC throughout the years and yet Newell has not gone with some type of inverter HVAC unit either rooftop, central HVAC, or mini split which uses a direct exchange through an internal evaporator. Technology has advanced light years in HVAC, or have they already Incorporated inverter technology?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I agree with you Jack. I think Dometic still makes a split system and all in one unit for the boating world. They just need to add an air to air condenser for the RV industry. I did a small job at this place close to my house. Cruisencomfortusa. Their one unit which would work for me at 48v is $5500 without install. There has to be a better way! I should edit that Dometic does have a 10,000btu under bunk a/c which is akin to a window air conditioner without the metal shell. That one is around $1300.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...i=89978449

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I installed the 24 volt DC system in our 20 ft Ford camper van, advertised as 13,000 BTU and really I think it's more like 4,500 BTU and draws 47 amps at 24 volts (1100 watts) which a conventional 110 volt mini split max's out at 900 watts. In short I wish I had gone the other direction with a conventional mini split and just located the compressor on the back.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas

(08-07-2023, 06:40 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  I install the 24 volt DC system in our 20 ft Ford camper van, advertised as 13,000 BTU and really I think it's more like 4,500 BTU and draws 47 amps at 24 volts (1100 watts) which a conventional 110 volt mini split max's out at 900 watts. In short I wish I had gone the other direction with a conventional mini split and just located the compressor on the back.

Thanks for the input.

(07-17-2023, 05:59 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Your going to really like the mini split, our 18k btu may have been a bit overkill but it will take the bedroom from 101 degrees to 74 in less than 20 minutes then ramp down, I know this for a fact as I turned it on yesterday just before my nap, I take a nap everyday about 1pm and thats the time ups shows up at the house so the coach is the quite place. Its wifi also which really is a nice feature.

Looks great, where did you locate outside unit, any more pics, or information would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks

Paul   95 Newell

Paul I don't recommend this system, they are noisy and inefficient. The work required to install it was just about as much as doing a 120 volt mini split. The condenser is the silver radiator on the side of the coach it is located just behind the driver door, the evaporator is in a cabinet that we built that has three drawers a sink in an induction cooktop. This is our homemade class B rig we started with in 2017, our Newell has been converted to 3 and 1/2 tons inverter mini splits with three evaporators inside the van. There's a thread on the conversion.https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=7096

Do you have any pictures of the area you're thinking and the measurements?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas