You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

18000 mini split in 596

Hank you are correct you're losing a lot of velocity due to friction of the ductwork, the 12000 BTU concealed duct we have above the refrigerator is the major source of cooling for the coach front as cold air falls, it also helps out the bedroom and sometimes I even turn off the 18,000 BTU back there when the coach gets in the mid-70s then turn it back on when we go to bed. It may be a little bit of work and pull some lines but putting one of your evaporators above the refrigerator is the direct exchange of energy in the location that you're trying to cool.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Here is a picture of the condenser unit . It is worth the install just for how quiet it is. The old scs units sound like a jet plane compared to the mini split. Coach has never been so cold since I have owned it. Ordered a 12000 to replace the front unit.
.pdf IMG_4233.pdf Size: 17.32 MB  Downloads: 39

Rolleyes David Augspurger #596 2001

You purchased a good unit David variable speed compressor variable speed evaporator and condenser fan. The idea of the system working properly is it really never shuts off it just slows down which makes it whisper quiet unless you walk into the coach and it's 100° and you turn it on for the first time. I spoke with my buddy who is an HVAC licensed contractor, he has been pushing inverter technology either home HVAC conversion or new installation of a mini split in new homes, the savings is phenomenal plus the pleasant non-stop flow of air no matter if it's at full tilt or minimum speed. I don't want to make anybody mad but the old type on off compressors and fans are truly obsolete. One other thing that people should think about is that you can purchase a inverter home HVAC system and perhaps use that in the coach utilizing a vertical or horizontal evaporator air handler. We have 25 tons of heat and air in our home at the present time our electric rates have gone from 11 cents a kilowatt hour to almost 18 cents, 7 cents doesn't sound like much until you figure your total bill 3 years ago versus now it's a 60% increase, a $300 bill 3 years ago is now $480. This winter the plan is to start removing all the old heat and air systems one by one and replacing them with inverter technology. Tom had mentioned that this technology was available in the 60s or '70s I can't remember but if that's the case we certainly as a nation have not paid attention to what modern control of thermodynamics can save us. Sorry to ramp on but I feel the RV market is probably the last market that will have these units readily available for a direct exchange although dometic does have a roof mount inverter unit non-available for many months.

Gravette, Arkansas

Jack,

I saw your install over the refrigerator (pics). I don't have room above mine for a cassette. I have two side by side Sub Zero's in the galley.
An alternative is above the stacked washer/dryer but I don't know if there is room there for the cassette either.
I'm still thinking and pondering...The answer may come later than sooner.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Hank and anyone else who is considering a ducted unit, there are inverter HVAC units available for home upgrade (air handler either horizonal or vertical) but if you have the return air under the steps which in my case is wasted space, consider using a larger evaporator intended for home use but beware of the size constraints then you can use the existing return air and all the duct work with a HOME type unit higher CFM but not as efficient. The ducted units that we buy on ebay or other places are meant for small home installation's with direct intended duct work above the ceiling in a closet or a direct exchange of energy or close to the indented area to be cooled. Its all fitment and work... On that note I guess no 2 Newells alike but I can put a lot in that area under our stairs.

We bought all our equipment from Power Equipment Direct which E-comfort is part of, if you research air handler you find most ducted air handler only put out 400 CFM a typical home air handler puts out 1200 CFM because it feed multiple ducts and has restriction. The down side to this is noise. 

https://www.ecomfort.com/stories/1326-Ho...-Unit.html

Gravette, Arkansas

(07-19-2023, 03:40 PM)David Augspurger Wrote:  Here is a picture of the condenser unit . It is worth the install just for how quiet it is. The old scs units sound like a jet plane compared to the mini split. Coach has never been so cold since I have owned it. Ordered a 12000 to replace the front unit.

Do you have more pics of installation, and info? I have non slide #382 45’ with basement domestics.
Thanks
Paul Green

Paul   95 Newell

Paul,

You will discover there is a whole different set of challenges with trying to replace the Dometics with minis than for the owners who have replaced the SCS units with minis.

The Dometic is already a split unit with the condenser outside and the evaporator inside.

The SCS unit is quite different with the condenser and evaporator packaged in something akin to a huge window AC unit. The cool air is ducted to different parts of the coach.

I am just telling you this so that when you see pics of what someone did with replacing the SCS the pics are not going to make any sense at all when you look at your coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(08-06-2023, 09:46 AM)Richard Wrote:  Paul,

You will discover there is a whole different set of challenges with trying to replace the Dometics with minis than for the owners who have replaced the SCS units with minis.

The Dometic is already a split unit with the condenser outside and the evaporator inside.

The SCS unit is quite different with the condenser and evaporator packaged in something akin to a huge window AC unit. The cool air is ducted to different parts of the coach.

I am just telling you this so that when you see pics of what someone did with replacing the SCS the pics are not going to make any sense at all when you look at your coach.

I know that is the case, I’m looking for info from people that had used a split system to replace the Dometic .
Thanks

Paul   95 Newell

(08-06-2023, 09:46 AM)Richard Wrote:  Paul,

Is the Dometic similar to what they call a Cruisair in a Prevost?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

I find it interesting that there's so many different variants of HVAC throughout the years and yet Newell has not gone with some type of inverter HVAC unit either rooftop, central HVAC, or mini split which uses a direct exchange through an internal evaporator or have they?

Gravette, Arkansas