You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

#744 Radiator Build Information

(07-31-2023, 04:52 PM)Trainer Wrote:  J K,  if you end up needing the radiator repaired or, more importantly, replaced, you might call Atlas Radiator in Corpus Christi, TX.

361/882-5661

They can build any radiator you specify.  They have the dimensions for Foretravel radiators and might have them for Newell.  A call will let you know what they can do for you.

All the best getting this done.

Hello Rudy!! Good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well and your wife’s recovery is doing great!

Funny how things work out… I just sent Larry some information about my radiator. I spoke with him several weeks ago. He sent me some drawings but felt like Newell had changed suppliers by 2004. 

Today I discovered a data “sticker” that was painted over and partially covered by a trim piece. 

I sent Newell a picture hoping it would jog some memories. I’d sure like to have my build information that is being held hostage by a storage room in Miami…

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

(07-31-2023, 07:28 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  It would be nice to see a flow diagram of the engine, we know that it goes into the aqua Hot and back out again but where does it end up in the engine on the input of the radiator or back into the block of the engine. I know it might sound crazy but you might get a radiator hose clamp and back at the aqua Hot clamp off the in or the out back to the engine.
I can shut off the lines to the AquaHot and Dash Heat.  Currently the dash heat is off. I can try the AH as well. 

I’ll trace the return lines, it’s an interesting question. I believe they return to the block but I don’t know for sure. The compound turbo really makes it tight back there and it’s difficult to follow hoses and lines.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

Jeff if it's from the block and back to the block the aqua Hot absorbs very little amount of the heat energy in the transfer compared to a radiator, it should come out of the block through the aqua hot in back to the input of the radiator therefore a portion of the heat is absorbed in the aqua Hot and the rest is dissipated into the radiator transfer. If it goes from the block through the aqua Hot and back to the block that's a big amount of fluid that could be transferred to the radiator and the heat dissipated. IMHO

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(07-31-2023, 05:18 PM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Has this problem just started or has it been there since you own the coach? What modifications were made and does any timeline coincide with the overheating problem?

We live 17 miles apart if you ever need any help.
The first time I realized I might have an issue was in 2020 climbing a hill out of Canon City Colorado.  With the help of Richard and Tom, I finished the trip. When I returned home I replaced the aftermarket regulator (CAT terminology) with the recommended CAT regulator 190°-210°, flushed the system with CAT cooling system cleaner, replaced coolant with CAT ELC, and cleaned the radiator and CAC as best I could. I clean the stack routinely now, Dawn HD and SimpleGreen for Aircraft. 

I also found out the C-13’s ECM was never programmed to control the hydraulic fan solenoid, the fan had been running on high its entire existence. I now have the ECM programmed properly and have installed a thermal switch in the coolant system to turn the fan on high at 210° vs the CAT ECM preprogrammed temp of 217°. Try to get ahead of it. 

I’ve asked Newell about replacing the radiator but I thought a last swing at cleaning it would be a good idea. The radiator needs to come out, disassembled, measured for a new core. Three or four week process conservatively. Newell can’t have it sit at the factory that long. 

Now I know the stack is a ICS system (Industrial Cooling System, Milwaukee Wisconsin).

We need to get together!

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

(07-31-2023, 06:01 PM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Jeff if it's from the block and back to the block the aqua Hot absorbs very little amount of the heat energy in the transfer compared to a radiator, it should come out of the block through the aqua hot in back to the input of the radiator therefore a portion of the heat is absorbed in the aqua Hot and the rest is dissipated into the radiator transfer. If it goes from the block through the aqua Hot and back to the block that's a big amount of fluid that could be transferred to the radiator and the heat dissipated. IMHO
 That’s an interesting point. I’ll take a closer look at the return system. Thanks!

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Nice work on cleaning the label, Jeff! Now that's incredible forensic work right there!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(07-31-2023, 07:24 PM)BusNit Wrote:  Nice work on cleaning the label, Jeff! Now that's incredible forensic work right there!

We all need to record and pass along as much information as we can. As the factory continues to change our investment will need to be maintained.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Jeff,

Where did you get your ecm reprogramed to include the fan control?

06 M450LXi 3 slide

(08-01-2023, 06:24 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  Jeff,

Joplin Caterpillar. Caterpillar records indicated the ECM was never programmed to control the fan system.
The ECM has several options to control a fan one of which is a 12v dc feed. My hydraulic block has a 12v dc solenoid that controls a spool valve. When the solenoid is de-energized the spool valve shifts position and basically all of the hydraulic flow/pressure goes to the fan motor. 
The system is designed so fan low rotation speed is approximately one half the engine rpm. Fan high, the fan rotates at approximately the same rpm has the engine. 
The Multi-Wing fan was at minimum pitch of 21°. Not enough pull to keep the C-13 cool. Not enough hydraulic pump to increase the fan pitch. Multi-Wing recommends 32.5° pitch. 
I’m working on the fix for that problem. Sorry… TMI…

(08-01-2023, 06:51 PM)jdkskyking Wrote:  
(08-01-2023, 06:24 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  Jeff,

Joplin Caterpillar. Caterpillar records indicated the ECM was never programmed to control the fan system.
The ECM has several options to control a fan one of which is a 12v dc feed. My hydraulic block has a 12v dc solenoid that controls a spool valve. When the solenoid is de-energized the spool valve shifts position and basically all of the hydraulic flow/pressure goes to the fan motor. 
The system is designed so fan low rotation speed is approximately one half the engine rpm. Fan high, the fan rotates at approximately the same rpm has the engine. 
The Multi-Wing fan was at minimum pitch of 21°. Not enough pull to keep the C-13 cool. Not enough hydraulic pump to increase the fan pitch. Multi-Wing recommends 32.5° pitch. 
I’m working on the fix for that problem. Sorry… TMI…
 To be more accurate, the Caterpillar ECM supplies 12v dc to a relay that controls the hydraulic block 12v dc solenoid.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Thanks for the info!

06 M450LXi 3 slide