You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wheel studs

Jack, I wanted them all replaced but Leo showed me that it was not necessary. he took a nut and if it didn't freely spin on with your fingers, it was time for replacement. Had I been the one doing the work, I would have just replaced all of them. I trust Leo and he did demonstrate his expertise to prove his point.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

As Richard noted , danger of bearing damage with hub installed . And all the studs have likely been over torqued .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

I emailed the new parts lady and gave her all the dimensions and pictures and asked how many do they have in stock and how much. Yes my fear is that someone with a 1" air driver has over torqued the studs and I will replace all of them on this wheel just to be safe, my fear is these things popping off at 65 mph or in a turn. When I see things like this I start evaluating what happened, just so happened the three studs are in the pattern of a triangle not next to each other this would leave me to believe the air driver and pressure system was max value when they tighten the first 3 studs and more than likely damaged them but I don't trust the others. I will also check the other side.

I got your drift Simon about the threads being worn and yes checking them that way would be correct but my problem is not the threads all the lug nuts go on very easy its them pulling apart at the flange. Look at that last picture. Scary!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I’m not disagreeing with you or Richard, just saying what Leo showed me. Having said that, If I were at home, I’d be replacing every single stud on the coach seeing how shops crank these down way beyond their specs. Add 20-30 years and it’s no doubt we will see failures.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Glad this is coming up now. Just finished getting all the rear tires off mine. Was surprised that they were hub piloted, unlike the fronts which are stud piloted. 
I will be taking a close look at the studs and checking the tag wheel bearings. 
Thanks gentlemen!

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I have looked for a couple hours with these measurements and coming up empty. Does anyone have a part number or brand these are and one more thing, are all the wheels right hand thread?

Gravette, Arkansas

Thank you Johnny Boy!

Attached Files
.pdf TP9613P.pdf Size: 4.69 MB  Downloads: 17

Gravette, Arkansas

Yes on right hand thread for tag and drive.

The odd ball on our coaches was that Newell used stud centered or Budd style studs on the front wheel. Yours may or may not have been changed with the conversion to the rims/tires you have.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Ok thanks once again! I'm pretty sure something isn't right with the studs, I am searching the internet and having difficulty finding the exact stud I have. They are 22mm 1.5 thread, the body is .975 inch diameter and the serrated part that starts at .73 on the body. Now for the interesting part my heads are .25 inch thick and every one I have found for sale that size the head is .375 inch thick, this is possibly the problem with them pulling through. Also my hub looks very new the picture taken from the back shows the holes are not lined up and also the axle hole is much bigger.

Newell wrote back they don't have them and when they need them they buy them at O'reilly auto parts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas

I don’t thick having some extra thickness on the head is a problem, nothing for it to hit in that area. If the length, thread pitch and size, and the diameter and location at the serrated section are a match then go for it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )