You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rockwell RS23160 Differential Pinion Leak

(10-05-2023, 06:53 AM)BusNit Wrote:  Jeff, I don't have much to add aside from having a pro look at it. Richard gives the most sound advice here and I do agree a simple seal might be all you need. Having said that, I do plan on attending the Wanderlodge rally and it would be neat if we could have both Newells together! Looking forward to meeting you!

I will move forward with this project after this trip and do some more poking around. 
Yes for sure, come on to the rally. Lots of Wanderlodge folks appreciate the Newells as well as vice versa. I have been going since 2017 and its a great time, I look forward to it every year.

(10-05-2023, 09:42 AM)Little Wrote:  Jeff, did you drain the oil and see whats up in there. Could be a good time to change to synthetic as well. Of course there will be some junk in the oil but shouldn't be any big ones. After oil is drained stick you finger or magnet in the hole looking for stuff. If there's nothing major in there I'd change the seal and fill it up. Also the smell of the oil may indicate if it's been real hot.

Have not drained the oil yet, that will be the plan at some point. I put Lucas synthetic 75-140 in my Wanderlodge diff, I will most likely do the same with this one. I did check the level since its leaking and the level plug has a magnet, nothing of consequence on that magnet, but did not expect that since it up on the side. Oil seems to be fine, it has its correct pungent gear oil smell, nothing out of place. A more thorough investigation will be made after this trip coming up and I will report any findings.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)